Jul 27, 2014, 8:59 AM EDT
Manchester United could use at least one new center-back, particularly after the departures of Rio Ferdinand (QPR) and Nemanja Vidić (Internazionale), but it’s no secret that they’re also looking to reinforce their midfield. The Red Devils have already brought in Ander Herrera from Athletic Bilbao, but they’re looking to add more depth in the center of the pitch.
Might another deal with Inter be in the works? Rumor has it that the nerazzurri are hoping for a swap involving Fredy Guarín and Javier Hernández. The Italian side have already supplemented their squad this summer, bringing in Vidić, Dodô, Yann M’Vila, and Rene Krin, but these players all tend toward the defensive side of things. What they need is more firepower up top. Chicharito could provide that, and at the low cost Inter are hoping for.
Guarín, meanwhile, has been deemed surplus to requirements by Walter Mazzarri. He’s a versatile player, but Inter have been waiting for him to blossom since bringing him on in 2012. The discipline provided by Louis van Gaal at United could work wonders, plus he is already comfortable with the 3-5-2 formation, after playing under Mazzarri for a year.
Chicharito, too, looks destined for a move away from Old Trafford — but he’s seemed destined for such a move for years, practically since joining up with United. The forward has never been more than a bench player with the team, coming in as a substitute eighteen times last season, as compared to his six Premier League starts. He’s still only 26, however, so it may be the perfect time for him to move to a club that provides regular playing time.
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 0
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 4
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 3