Jul 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
It could have been joking, or it could have been serious, but either way, Roberto Martinez said it.
Fans in Thailand asked him coming off the field during training, “are we going to get Rom?” As in Romelu Lukaku.
Martinez, walking away, said, “Of coure, of course we we’ll get him.”
A fan captured the video, and it’s become a big hit in Merseyside.
It did seem like Martinez was just trying to please the fans and didn’t think much of his answer, but it’s nonetheless reignited rumors.
Despite the fact Martinez didn’t seem 100% serious, he’s not the only Everton official who has mentioned Lukaku’s name in the last few days.
Toffees head of recruitment of Ian Atkins told talkSPORT yesterday, “I think he’s quite settled in his mind that he wants to come to Everton.” It sounds like a recruitment tactic from a head of recruitment, but nonetheless has also added fuel to the fire.
Lukaku spent last season on loan in Everton, scoring 15 goals in 33 matches, while assisting eight others. The 21-year-old all last year and even after the season been publicly opposed to returning to parent club Chelsea, with Jose Mourinho also making it clear he’s not too high on the towering Belgian.
However, Chelsea are also likely to be searching for a substantial haul, and plenty of other teams have been rumored to be interested, including Wolfsburg.
Reports in the last few days came out that Everton will be willing to break the club’s transfer record to sign Lukaku permanently.
Everton convinced Gareth Barry to sign permanently after coming over on loan last season from Manchester City.
- MLS Cup Playoffs Preview: Red Bulls vs. Revolution, Galaxy vs. Sounders in Conference Championship first legs 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 12 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Everton, Manchester City 0
- These deserving nominees are the biggest snubs of MLS Award season 4
- Former Man Utd teammates Welbeck, Rooney prepares for “weird” match as Arsenal hosts Red Devils 0
- What to expect as USA, Premier League star Geoff Cameron joins ProSoccerTalk 1