Jul 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT
It could have been joking, or it could have been serious, but either way, Roberto Martinez said it.
Fans in Thailand asked him coming off the field during training, “are we going to get Rom?” As in Romelu Lukaku.
Martinez, walking away, said, “Of coure, of course we we’ll get him.”
A fan captured the video, and it’s become a big hit in Merseyside.
It did seem like Martinez was just trying to please the fans and didn’t think much of his answer, but it’s nonetheless reignited rumors.
Despite the fact Martinez didn’t seem 100% serious, he’s not the only Everton official who has mentioned Lukaku’s name in the last few days.
Toffees head of recruitment of Ian Atkins told talkSPORT yesterday, “I think he’s quite settled in his mind that he wants to come to Everton.” It sounds like a recruitment tactic from a head of recruitment, but nonetheless has also added fuel to the fire.
Lukaku spent last season on loan in Everton, scoring 15 goals in 33 matches, while assisting eight others. The 21-year-old all last year and even after the season been publicly opposed to returning to parent club Chelsea, with Jose Mourinho also making it clear he’s not too high on the towering Belgian.
However, Chelsea are also likely to be searching for a substantial haul, and plenty of other teams have been rumored to be interested, including Wolfsburg.
Reports in the last few days came out that Everton will be willing to break the club’s transfer record to sign Lukaku permanently.
Everton convinced Gareth Barry to sign permanently after coming over on loan last season from Manchester City.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 1
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 8
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0