Jul 27, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
Plenty of talk at Stamford Bridge has surrounded young Belgian goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois after three impressive seasons at Atletico Madrid.
But the incumbent isn’t bowing out just yet. Or for a while.
“I’m staying at Chelsea, that for sure,” Cech told Ekipa24 after the Blues’ friendly on Sunday. “I really don’t mind that there are two great keepers at Chelsea. That motivates me even more.”
Cech has become somewhat of a legend at Chelsea, making 478 total appearances with the Blues over an 11-year span with the club.
And the part most people forget is that Cech is just 32 – not close to the end of the road for many goalkeepers, who often continue into their mid to late 30’s before seriously declining.
“You always have to fight if you want to be on great level,” Cech said. “And there is not only Courtouis and me, even Matej Delac is showing that he is great keeper.”
With Courtois putting the pressure on Jose Mourinho and Chelsea to start the 21-year-old now or lose him forever, the club has a very serious and difficult decision to make – start the club legend and risk losing the young superstar, or displace the 11-year club veteran and risk angering fans and disrupting chemistry.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 0
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 2
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2