Jul 27, 2014, 3:24 PM EST
Roma midfielder Miralem Pjanic stunned Manchester United and all of Mile High Stadium when he found the back of the net from his own half of the field on Saturday.
The goal was incredible enough on its own, but having a little backstory about his time in Denver makes it even more special.
Pjanic spent some time with the Denver Broncos the day before their International Champions Cup match with the Red Devils, and he practiced kicking goals from that distance…field goals, that is.
The team tweeted out a video of his time learning the variety of kicking that’s a bit more popular in America.
That’s Broncos punter Britton Colquitt next to Pjanic watching his would-be competition. Matt Prater better look out. Only difference? That one’s worth three points, not just one.
Here’s his ridiculous goal the next day. It doesn’t go as far as proving practice makes perfect, but it certainly helps kick the ball far.
Fulham owner Shad Khan, who also owns the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars, actually mentioned the possibility of a soccer player kicking in the NFL back in our exclusive interview with the billionaire last year. Just after purchasing Fulham, he told me:
“You know, that is an interesting idea. (Jaguars kicker) Josh Scobee was talking to me about it previously. We talk about it for fun when we have a friendly here next year to try that. Josh actually used to play soccer with Clint Dempsey, so he shared a lot of similarities. Moving forward, how you evaluate talent can cross the game. Nobody really knows how they compare but this would be an interesting way of finding out.”
Now here’s a bit of first-hand evidence that it’s a serious possibility.
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 1
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa to contest FA charge of violent conduct 1
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claim two teams interested 10