Jul 27, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
The report states Queens Park Rangers are furious with Liverpool for having leaked that the deal was off after a failed medical.
In addition, the newly-promoted club also says it’s not over, with more tests scheduled for the French striker and things could theoretically be recovered.
Remy spent all of last week in Boston discussing personal terms with Liverpool after the clubs agreed to a transfer fee. Reports say the two sides eventually agreed to a deal worth around $7 million a year.
Liverpool did not state what the medical problem was, but with multiple reports (including this Mirror report) describing the issue discovered as “serious” and “long-term” it’s possible the medical revealed the same heart condition that held up Remy’s transfer from Nice to Marseille in 2010.
The issue then was what the Marseille doctor later described as “a mechanical problem,” but the transfer eventually went through.
If further tests are in fact planned, it could mean Remy’s move to Liverpool may not necessarily be off. In fact, if this is true, it would likely mean Liverpool leaked the news as leverage to negotiate a lower fee, something that would understandably frustrate QPR.
Liverpool have a history of a few shady transfer dealings in the recent past. A few years ago they were reported by Fulham for tapping up Clint Dempsey prior to his transfer out of Craven Cottage. The Reds pulled out all the stops to convince Dempsey he was headed to Anfield, and then they pulled the plug. Dempsey eventually left for Tottenham.
They were also accused of an illegal approach for a youth player by Crewe Alexandria in 2009.
Remy scored 14 goals this past season on loan at Newcastle, and his acquisition by Liverpool was supposed to help ease the loss of Luis Suarez.
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2
- Analyzing UEFA Champions League group stage draw for four Premier League teams 0
- Full draw: Epic UEFA Champions League group stage will see giants collide 3
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Neymar in talks, Olic to Stoke City 0
- Wolfsburg say Kevin de Bruyne not heading to Manchester City “at this point” 9
- 2015-16 Premier League Power Rankings, Vol. I: Taking very early stock with Man City on top 8