Jul 27, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
The report states Queens Park Rangers are furious with Liverpool for having leaked that the deal was off after a failed medical.
In addition, the newly-promoted club also says it’s not over, with more tests scheduled for the French striker and things could theoretically be recovered.
Remy spent all of last week in Boston discussing personal terms with Liverpool after the clubs agreed to a transfer fee. Reports say the two sides eventually agreed to a deal worth around $7 million a year.
Liverpool did not state what the medical problem was, but with multiple reports (including this Mirror report) describing the issue discovered as “serious” and “long-term” it’s possible the medical revealed the same heart condition that held up Remy’s transfer from Nice to Marseille in 2010.
The issue then was what the Marseille doctor later described as “a mechanical problem,” but the transfer eventually went through.
If further tests are in fact planned, it could mean Remy’s move to Liverpool may not necessarily be off. In fact, if this is true, it would likely mean Liverpool leaked the news as leverage to negotiate a lower fee, something that would understandably frustrate QPR.
Liverpool have a history of a few shady transfer dealings in the recent past. A few years ago they were reported by Fulham for tapping up Clint Dempsey prior to his transfer out of Craven Cottage. The Reds pulled out all the stops to convince Dempsey he was headed to Anfield, and then they pulled the plug. Dempsey eventually left for Tottenham.
They were also accused of an illegal approach for a youth player by Crewe Alexandria in 2009.
Remy scored 14 goals this past season on loan at Newcastle, and his acquisition by Liverpool was supposed to help ease the loss of Luis Suarez.
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 1
- 2011 Women’s World Cup final loss still burns in Abby Wambach’s memory 1
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 1
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3