Jul 28, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
On Monday Arsenal completed their fourth-signing of the summer, as Southampton’s teenage defender Calum Chambers arrived at the Emirates.
The fee for the England youth international is thought to be in the region of $27 million, a rather large sum for a player who has made just 21 Premier League appearances after his debut season for Saints in 2013-14.
[RELATED: Chambers a “gamble”]
Chambers, 19, primarily played right back for Southampton but the England Under-19 captain can also play in central defense or in midfield. Earlier on Monday Gunners boss Arsene Wenger admitted that signing Chambers is a “gamble” but hoped his faith in the young Englishman would pay off.
Speaking to Arsenal’s website after the transfer was sealed, Wenger spoke about why he moved in for Chambers.
“We are very pleased that Calum has agreed to join us,” Wenger said. “The way he adapted to the Premier League last season with Southampton at a young age shows that he has tremendous quality. He has a lot of the attributes that we look for in a young player and I am sure that he will do well with us.”
Chambers will likely challenge new signing Matheiu Debuchy at right back but you could also see him trying to make his way in central midfield as a holding player. At the age of 19, he has already shown his quality in the English top-flight and with experienced defenders like Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker showing him the ropes, you should bet on Chambers being a future center back for Arsenal.
Twice in the past Wenger has looked to Southampton to sign teenagers, as both Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain swapped St. Mary’s for the Emirates. They turned out well, will Chambers follow suit?
- 2015 Gold Cup: With the rest of CONCACAF making strides, this is USMNT’s chance to show they are, too 3
- New York City mayor could give USWNT ticker tape parade in Manhattan 1
- After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics 0
- 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament 0
- 2015 Gold Cup preview: United States look to defend title 0
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 9