Jul 28, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
On Monday Arsenal completed their fourth-signing of the summer, as Southampton’s teenage defender Calum Chambers arrived at the Emirates.
The fee for the England youth international is thought to be in the region of $27 million, a rather large sum for a player who has made just 21 Premier League appearances after his debut season for Saints in 2013-14.
[RELATED: Chambers a “gamble”]
Chambers, 19, primarily played right back for Southampton but the England Under-19 captain can also play in central defense or in midfield. Earlier on Monday Gunners boss Arsene Wenger admitted that signing Chambers is a “gamble” but hoped his faith in the young Englishman would pay off.
Speaking to Arsenal’s website after the transfer was sealed, Wenger spoke about why he moved in for Chambers.
“We are very pleased that Calum has agreed to join us,” Wenger said. “The way he adapted to the Premier League last season with Southampton at a young age shows that he has tremendous quality. He has a lot of the attributes that we look for in a young player and I am sure that he will do well with us.”
Chambers will likely challenge new signing Matheiu Debuchy at right back but you could also see him trying to make his way in central midfield as a holding player. At the age of 19, he has already shown his quality in the English top-flight and with experienced defenders like Laurent Koscielny and Per Mertesacker showing him the ropes, you should bet on Chambers being a future center back for Arsenal.
Twice in the past Wenger has looked to Southampton to sign teenagers, as both Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain swapped St. Mary’s for the Emirates. They turned out well, will Chambers follow suit?
- Klinsmann confirms Brad Guzan will start Confederations Cup playoff in goal 0
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0