Jul 29, 2014, 8:35 AM EST
On Tuesday reports from Germany suggest all is not well with Marco Reus.
Apparently the 25-year-old attacker has rejected a new deal with Bundesliga outfit Borussia Dortmund and he is now being pursued by a host of European giants.
Manchester United, Barcelona and Bayern Munich are all said to be keen on sealing a $48 million deal for Reus, as the German international has that as his release clause in his contract. That’s not too much for a player who had delivered domestically, in the UEFA Champions League and internationally.
According to German newspaper Bild, Reus doesn’t want to stick around any longer at the Westfalenstadion after scoring 21 goals in 39 games during the 2013-14 season. He is refusing to extend his current deal past 2017 and wants a move away. Take all of this with a pinch of salt, but it seems like Reus will follow the likes of Mario Gotze and Robert Lewandowski out of the door. Both of those players joined Bayern Munich from Dortmund and if Reus followed them it would be a killer blow to BVB’s chances of trying to wrestle the Bundesliga title from Munich’s grasp for the foreseeable future.
Reus should have been part of Germany’s 2014 World Cup winning squad but injured his ankle ligaments during the warm up games and missed out on heading to Brazil. His power and pace often see him get in behind defenses but his creativity and vision from deep-lying roles mean he is also a creator. Reus can play across the front line and would slot in at United, Barca or Bayern seamlessly.
Not it seems as though he’s willing to make up for lost time and announce his talents at some of the biggest clubs in the world. Which one will dip into their pockets to sign Reus?
- Marvell Wynne, Bakary Soumare headline Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Draft results 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 0
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 3
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 1
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1