Jul 29, 2014, 7:08 PM EST
In a day dominated by Southampton headlines it now appears that Saints are close to parting with disgraced striker, Dani Osvaldo, in a swap deal for Inter’s 22-year-old central midfielder, Saphir Taidar.
The report, which comes to from Football Italia via Sky Sport Italia, claims Southampton are desperate to off-load the controversial Osvaldo, who has refused to return to Saints from his summer vacation.
Osvaldo was purchased by Southampton from AS Roma last summer for a fee in the range of $23 million and showed considersble promise in the first half of the season, scoring three goals in 13 Premier League matches. Things then came undone when a training ground bust-up ended with Osvaldo head-butting defender Jose Fonte and the club immediately transfer-listing the striker.
Juventus stepped in to take Osvaldo on loan where he made 18 appearances, scoring three goals. With the loan spell having come to an end this summer, Osvaldo was supposed to return to Southampton but has refused. The resolution? A swap deal with the Nerazzurri for Taidar.
Reported terms for the agreement have both players going out on year long loans with the clubs thereafter having the option to buy. Taidar, who recently starred for Algeria in the 2014 World Cup, is a versatile player capable of playing both attacking and defensive roles in the center of the park. Last season at Inter he registered two goals and two assists in 26 matches.
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 1
- Transfer rumor roundup: Ings to Tottenham Hotspur, Busquets to Manchester United 0
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0
- Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election 4
- Sunday’s transfer rumor roundup: Konoplyanka to Everton, Clyne to Old Trafford 0