Jul 29, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
Manchester United and Inter Milan face off in International Champions Cup play tonight at 7:00pm ET (watch live on NBCSN and online via Live Extra) from FedEx Field in Washington D.C..
It’s the second match of the competition for each club, with both sides having pulled out victories in the opener. Manchester United enter the match off a 3-2 victory over AS Roma last Saturday where a Wayne Rooney brace and Juan Mata strike handed the Red Devils a 3-0 lead.
Roma came back to score twice in the second half but Louis van Gaal’s men held on, with the new manager less than impressed.”When you are 3-0 ahead, it seems all you have to do is keep the ball in position and then the opponent has to run and run and run,” he said. ”It’s very difficult with this hot weather to do that. But we have forgotten to do that. I’m pleased we have won. But it was not good.”
For Inter, a Mauro Icardi penalty in the 68th minute secured a 1-1 draw with Real Madrid before the Nerazzuri claimed all three points in the penalty shutout with Icardi once again the hero.
In team news, van Gaal has decided to go with his fabled 3-5-2 with Anders Lindegaard in net, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Jonny Evans as the three center-backs and Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck up top.
Manchester United: Lindegaard; Smalling, Jones, Evans; Valencia, Fletcher, Herrera, Young, Mata; Rooney, Welbeck.
Inter Milan: Handanovic; Ranocchia, Vidic, Juan Jesus; D’Ambrosio, Jonathan, Kuzmanovic, Krhin, Dodò; Botta, Icardi
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 34 0
- Watch Live: Southampton vs. Tottenham Hotspur (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool 0
- SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34 0