Jul 29, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
Manchester United and Inter Milan face off in International Champions Cup play tonight at 7:00pm ET (watch live on NBCSN and online via Live Extra) from FedEx Field in Washington D.C..
It’s the second match of the competition for each club, with both sides having pulled out victories in the opener. Manchester United enter the match off a 3-2 victory over AS Roma last Saturday where a Wayne Rooney brace and Juan Mata strike handed the Red Devils a 3-0 lead.
Roma came back to score twice in the second half but Louis van Gaal’s men held on, with the new manager less than impressed.”When you are 3-0 ahead, it seems all you have to do is keep the ball in position and then the opponent has to run and run and run,” he said. ”It’s very difficult with this hot weather to do that. But we have forgotten to do that. I’m pleased we have won. But it was not good.”
For Inter, a Mauro Icardi penalty in the 68th minute secured a 1-1 draw with Real Madrid before the Nerazzuri claimed all three points in the penalty shutout with Icardi once again the hero.
In team news, van Gaal has decided to go with his fabled 3-5-2 with Anders Lindegaard in net, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Jonny Evans as the three center-backs and Wayne Rooney and Danny Welbeck up top.
Manchester United: Lindegaard; Smalling, Jones, Evans; Valencia, Fletcher, Herrera, Young, Mata; Rooney, Welbeck.
Inter Milan: Handanovic; Ranocchia, Vidic, Juan Jesus; D’Ambrosio, Jonathan, Kuzmanovic, Krhin, Dodò; Botta, Icardi
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Peru 0
- Three things we learned from USMNT’s comeback win vs. Peru 0
- USMNT 2-1 Peru: Altidore double leads USA to come-from-behind win 0
- EXCLUSIVE: US Olympic coach Andi Herzog on Rio 2016, MLS, over-age players and more 0
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 6
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0