Jul 30, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
According to multiple reports from the UK, Everton have sealed the permanent signing of Belgian striker Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea.
Lukaku, 21, is set to sign on a five-year deal for a fee believed to be as high as $50 million. That would be a huge transfer fee for Everton, but until the deal is confirmed we won’t find out for sure as Chelsea are holding out for as much as they can get.
The deal is more likely to be around the $40 million mark, which would represent a club record transfer for Everton.
Chelsea signed Lukaku from Anderlecht in 2011 for a fee of $17 million, which was set to rise to $27 million with add ons. If Jose Mourinho manages to double his money on Lukaku, it would represent a superb deal for the West Londoners who already have Fernando Torres and Diego Costa up front. However Everton’s manager Roberto Martinez sees Lukaku as the perfect player to build the Toffees’ offense around and is willing to splash the cash to seal a permanent deal for the player who scored 15 Premier League goals last season during his loan spell from Chelsea.
Lukaku bullied the USA during the 2014 World Cup, as he came off the bench in extra time to grab a goal and an assist as Belgium won 2-1 in their Round of 16 match to reach the quarterfinals of the competition.
Ever since arriving at Chelsea in 2011, Lukaku hasn’t been a regular at Stamford Bridge and has spent the last two seasons out on loan at West Bromwich Albion and then Everton in the PL. It seems like Lukaku, finally, has found a permanent home at Goodison Park.
No official confirmation has arrived from the club, but Lukaku sent out the following message on Wednesday morning and since then his Belgian teammate and former Everton star Marouane Fellaini had congratulated Lukaku on his move to Goodison. See below.
- Carli Lloyd proves she’s the Women’s World Cup hero she always knew she would be 1
- Mission accomplished: Abby Wambach gets her World Cup title 0
- United States wins third Women’s World Cup title, beats Japan on record-smashing day 22
- VIDEO: Lloyd seals amazing 16 minute hat trick with wonder goal from halfway 2
- Sunday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Manchester City ready to spend, Spurs agree for Alderweireld 0
- Sepp Blatter claims French and German presidents influenced World Cup voters 2