Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EST
After its roaring success at the World Cup, vanishing spray will be seen in the Premier League for the 2014-15 season.
Fans of Major League Soccer are used to seeing the spray in action after it was introduced back in the 2011 season and now leagues across the world are catching on. MLS, you pioneers, you.
When the new season kicks off on August 16, Premier League referees will use the spray (which is held in a can that will be strapped to their waists) to prevent encroachment by players in a defensive wall during free kicks. They will spray a line 10-yards away from the ball that defending players cannot cross.
Speaking about the decisions to introduce vanishing spray, Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore had this to say.
“It was clear from watching the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil that vanishing spray benefited referees, players, and all of those who watched the matches.”
After seeing the device used so effortlessly during the World Cup, it is quick and easy to use and will stop cheating from defensive players. The referee sprays a quick mark where the ball is, walks 10 yards and sprays a line which the players must stand behind. If they don’t, he will book them and move the free kick closer. Simple.
Gone are the days when you see defensive walls inching closer to the ball everytime the referee turns his back. Cheaters never prosper, but when it comes to blocking free kicks standing closer than 10-yards usually works.
Those 10-yards distances are now legit in the Premier League thanks to our new friend, vanishing spray.
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2
- MLS Atlanta makes shrewd hire, bringing in Carlos Bocanegra as technical director 0
- BBC report: Sunderland’s Adam Johnson arrested on suspicion of sex with a 15-year-old girl 4
- Premier League Playback: Why Manchester City are throwing away the title 0