Jul 31, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
When Lazio snapped up Dutch defender Stefan de Vrij, he became the latest in a long list of silly season targets headed to Manchester United that, well, didn’t.
So we thought it would be a fun trip down memory lane to dip through the vault for names linked, tipped and all-but-delivered to Old Trafford since David Moyes took over in the Summer of 2013.
[ RELATED: Shaw agrees with van Gaal’s fitness criticism ]
Stefan de Vrij
Angel Di Maria
This took all of 15 minutes and involved a very easy swoop through the transfer trail. Four of the 40 names actually found their way to Old Trafford. Four. That’s 10 percent success and there are only so many big names in the world. Essentially, if someone is unsettled or at a smaller club, they are coming to a bigger club.
And this isn’t a Manchester United thing alone. Pick a giant club and they have been linked with a bevy of players who never came to town. Actually, it’s not even giant clubs, as Newcastle has seen links for everyone from Chicharito to Bafetimbi Gomis to Clint Dempsey.
It’s what makes transfer season incredibly frustrating but also limitless amounts of fun. Who’s coming to your team today? Maybe no one, but we can dare-to-dream.
- Report: Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner set to sell team to UK group 0
- MLS roundup: Whitecaps, D.C. United win late ones; FCD, Sounders in disappointing draw 1
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 0-0 Seattle Sounders 0
- MLS Snapshot: Vancouver Whitecaps 2-1 Portland Timbers 1
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 1-0 LA Galaxy 1
- MLS Snapshot: New York City FC 0-1 Sporting Kansas City 4