Aug 1, 2014, 8:36 AM EDT
Both sides of Liverpool’s back line could be stronger and deeper soon, as Sky Sports is reporting the Reds are close to transfers for Atletico Madrid right back Javi Manquillo and Sevilla left back Alberto Moreno.
Liverpool’s 50 goals allowed in 2013/14 were the most of any Top 5 team, and manager Brendan Rodgers has already moved to address his defensive depth by signing Dejan Lovren from Southampton.
Moreno will cost a lot more than Manquillo, as the Sevilla back is tipped to cost in the neighborhood of $34 million while Manquillo’s move would begin as a loan that could eventually net Atleti $10 million.
Liverpool has spent loads of dough on attackers and wingers since selling Luis Suarez to Barcelona, but needed depth all around for their return to UEFA Champions League football. Lovren joined a corps that includes Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel, Glen Johnson, Jon Flanagan and Mamadou Sakho amongst others.
Chief executive Ian Ayre has flown to Spain to try and complete the transfers, which would take Liverpool’s summer spending through the £100m barrier if completed.
The deal for Manquillo is reported to be a loan, possibly for two seasons, with a permanent deal worth in the region of £6m following at the end of that.
Moreno, who like Manquillo, has also been linked with Arsenal this summer, is expected to cost the Reds £20m.
Moreno, 22, scored thrice in 43 appearances for Sevilla in Spain and Europa League play last season, appearing once for the Spanish national team. The 20-year-old Manquillo has made just six appearances for Atletico. Both players are under 5-foot-9.
A lot of attention has been focused on how Liverpool would replace Suarez, but these moves would speak to what the Reds really need to make a title challenge in England. The Reds allowed 23 more goals than No. 3 Chelsea and 13 more than No. 1 Manchester City.
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 0
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 6
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0
- Liverpool complete $20 million signing of Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton 1
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 2
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 3