Aug 1, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Seattle Sounders goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann hasn’t appeared for the club yet this season, but he’s made an awesome appearance outside of CenturyLink Field.
The 42-year-old veteran put his body to the test with a ride in a Navy F-18 Blue Angel, and while he clearly enjoyed himself, his body had some trouble.
Hahnemann, as you’ll see below, didn’t manage to stay awake for the entire ride. A 7.6 G-force turn caused the Sounder to black out for about eight seconds, and as he awoke slowly, he took a bit to regain his senses before telling his pilot, “you got me!” Credit to the pilot for checking on his passenger’s well-being.
Those 7.6 G’s put about 1,657 pounds of force onto Hahnemann’s body, shoving the blood out of his brain and down towards his feet, so it’s no surprise he blacked out. Any normal person would, let alone a professional athlete in peak physical condition. Leaves you in awe at some of these pilots.
At least he managed to hold onto his lunch without “egressing,” which ESPN writer Rick Reilly was unable to do during his ride in an F-14 Tomcat a number of years ago. I’m assuming Hahnemann’s pilot wasn’t named Biff, but who knows.
Back in 2009, then-Sounders goalkeeper Casey Keller also spent some time in the air with the Blue Angels, so maybe this is a thing for the club? Keller made it through unscathed, but admitted it was a struggle to keep down his stomach contents.
Thankfully, despite his momentary lapse in consciousness, Hahnemann clearly had a great time.
The Blue Angels are the Navy’s top stunt team, their version of the Air Force’s Thunderbirds.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1