Cristiano Ronaldo could return to Manchester United

Aug 2, 2014, 9:51 AM EST

cristiano_ronaldo AP

Cristiano Ronaldo will not be playing against Manchester United in their International Champions Cup match later today, but that doesn’t mean he’s ruled out a reunion with his former side. In fact, the future could see him return to the side where “the people treat me like a god.”

When he was 18 years old, Ronaldo joined United from Sporting. In his six seasons at Old Trafford, United won the Premier League title three times, the FA Cup once and lifted the Champions League trophy in 2007-2008 — the last time they’ve done so. Ronaldo then headed off for Real Madrid, where he’s been ever since.

Last season, Ronaldo helped Real to their tenth Champions League trophy, scoring the most goals in the process, and also collected the FIFA Ballon d’Or. Obviously, he’s thriving in Spain. Yet he still holds plenty of love for his former side. Speaking to MUTV, Ronaldo said:

It’s crazy. I remember when we played there against Manchester in the Champions League, they kill me. My heart was so happy. I had fantastic moments and I appreciate this club. For me it’s one of the best clubs in the world and I have passion for this club. Some players I am still in contact with because when I was there I created a good relationship with everybody, not just the players, all the staff around. And it was like my second family there too so I’ll not forget that the people treat me well. I’ll not forget.

I love Manchester, to be back, I never know, you never know. Of course I’m happy at Real Madrid, it’s my home, it’s my club but Manchester treat me unbelievable so we never know.

Perhaps it’s just a warning for Real fans not to turn against Ronaldo if he’s not quite as successful this season. But it sure sounds like the forward could be heading for a reunion with the fans he loves so much.

1. mianfr - Aug 2, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I think it’s time to stop posting any crazy rumors regarding Messi or Ronaldo until their contracts are one year away from expiry. They’re never going to leave their clubs otherwise. Ronaldo is not going back to Manchester, Messi is not going to Paris-St. Germain, and that’s that.

They are so much better than the rest of the world in soccer that there’s simply no justifiable transfer sum at this point that any team could meet, and Real Madrid and Barcelona have the two highest revenues in soccer.

2. martin492013 - Aug 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM

This rumour is garbage spouted by Pro-BPL writers and fans…….Man U is going no where fast, why would Ronaldo want to go back?

• lordfletcher - Aug 3, 2014 at 8:43 AM

The rumor is garbage but MUFC will be back.

3. reformed2012 - Aug 2, 2014 at 12:11 PM

When Barcelona is expected to be expelled from La Liga after Catalonia succeed from Spain this November, we will see something completely different as far as revenue is concerned.

• mianfr - Aug 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Just because a new line appears a map doesn’t mean a sports league has to drop several teams, including one of its diamond franchises.

4. dkalev - Aug 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM

What’s this about a secession? Source?

Man United thrash Liverpool