Aug 2, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
There’s a Los Angeles Galaxy attacker that deserves a chance from Jurgen Klinsmann, and his name is not Landon Donovan.
He’s Gyasi Zardes and, from the shock of yellow hair on his head to his electric skill set, he is begging to be noticed.
There aren’t an abundance of big, young American strikers with finishing finesse and Zardes, frankly, has been among the most dominant players to wear the Galaxy crest this season. The 22-year-old stands 6-foot-2 and, if not for Robbie Keane, he’d be an easy No. 1 pick as the most impactful Galaxy attacker of late.
Zardes, 22, showed the aforementioned skills against Portland on Saturday afternoon with a six-shot, one-goal performance, but it’s his powerfully-headed goal that should get him into Klinsmann’s conversation (at the very least for January camp).
How does he get that open (besides poor defending)?
The U.S. is facing a busy few years on the men’s soccer circuit, with a Gold Cup, Copa America Centenario and Summer Olympics qualifying slate heading its way. They will need plenty of attacking options, and Zardes has made his case. Now let’s see how he can perform for the States.
“Gyasinho” has eight goals in 17 games this season, with just 11 of those appearances being starts. Seven have come in his last eight games, as Zardes has reaped the reward of playing alongside a red-hot Robbie Keane.
With his size and speed, Zardes is the sort of player who will draw the attention of European eyes. Here’s hoping the first pair belong to Klinsmann (or at least the American-Uruguayan eyes of Tab Ramos)
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0