Aug 2, 2014, 6:40 PM EST
There’s a Los Angeles Galaxy attacker that deserves a chance from Jurgen Klinsmann, and his name is not Landon Donovan.
He’s Gyasi Zardes and, from the shock of yellow hair on his head to his electric skill set, he is begging to be noticed.
There aren’t an abundance of big, young American strikers with finishing finesse and Zardes, frankly, has been among the most dominant players to wear the Galaxy crest this season. The 22-year-old stands 6-foot-2 and, if not for Robbie Keane, he’d be an easy No. 1 pick as the most impactful Galaxy attacker of late.
Zardes, 22, showed the aforementioned skills against Portland on Saturday afternoon with a six-shot, one-goal performance, but it’s his powerfully-headed goal that should get him into Klinsmann’s conversation (at the very least for January camp).
How does he get that open (besides poor defending)?
The U.S. is facing a busy few years on the men’s soccer circuit, with a Gold Cup, Copa America Centenario and Summer Olympics qualifying slate heading its way. They will need plenty of attacking options, and Zardes has made his case. Now let’s see how he can perform for the States.
“Gyasinho” has eight goals in 17 games this season, with just 11 of those appearances being starts. Seven have come in his last eight games, as Zardes has reaped the reward of playing alongside a red-hot Robbie Keane.
With his size and speed, Zardes is the sort of player who will draw the attention of European eyes. Here’s hoping the first pair belong to Klinsmann (or at least the American-Uruguayan eyes of Tab Ramos)
- Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015? 0
- Report: Juan Agudelo close to signing with his former MLS team, New England Revolution 4
- Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency 2
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 3
- Transfer rumor roundup: Ings to Tottenham Hotspur, Busquets to Manchester United 0