Aug 2, 2014, 8:57 AM EST
Luis Suárez doesn’t have much longer to wait before he’ll find out whether justice will be kind. The Court of Arbitration for Sport will hear his appeal against a four-month ban for biting on August 8.
In case you’ve forgotten what all the fuss is about, Suárez sunk his teeth into Giorgio Chiellini‘s shoulder during Uruguay’s final group stage match with Italy. The action not only saw him banned from the remainder of the World Cup, but prompted FIFA to suspend him from Uruguay’s next nine matches, as well as suspend him from football and all football-related activities for the next four months.
The ban didn’t extend to transfers, however. Liverpool, keen to have him gone despite a spectacular season last year, were willing to let him go to Barcelona with nary a fight. Now his new side are anxious that he be permitted to return earlier than anticipated, making the argument that Barcelona should not be punished for something that occurred while Suárez was on international duty.
The results of the CAS hearing should be known by mid-August, as the Court has fast-tracked the appeal. Many believe the ban on “football-related activities” will be removed, while the nine-game ban from international matches will stand. Barcelona, of course, are hoping to have him back earlier than the end of October, which is when Suárez is now slated to return.
La Liga returns to action on Sunday, August 24. Barcelona kick off the season playing host to Elche.
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0