Aug 2, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
There are more reports that Frank Lampard will be back in the Premier League this Fall, but those salivating at the idea of the longtime Chelsea man squaring off against his old mates will be disappointed.
Sky Sports reporter Mark McAdam says that Lampard’s rumored loan move to Manchester City is happening, but that part of the agreement is that the veteran English midfielder will not be selected for matches against his old team.
Lampard, 36, recently signed for New York City FC of Major League Soccer after a storied career at Stamford Bridge.
There were rumors that he would join fellow NYCFC signing David Villa on loan at Australia’s Melbourne City, but the lure of the Premier League was too much to ignore.
CONFIRMED: Frank Lampard joins Man City on loan until the end of January, more on SSN now. He’s requested NOT to be selected v Chelsea.
— Mark McAdam (@markmcadamtv) August 2, 2014
It would certainly be a bizarre sight to see Lampard lining up against Chelsea, and it’ll be a wonder if he sees a ton of time in Manchester City’s midfield anyway. He’s still a great depth move for City and, at the very least, will provide a few more MLS mentions across the pond.
- Wolfsburg sporting director: “De Bruyne is off to Manchester City” 0
- Report: Manchester United planning massive $112 million bid for Arjen Robben 5
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Home advantage for heavyweights – Week 4 2
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 4 0
- Premier League Preview: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal 0
- Kevin de Bruyne deal moves closer after “astonishing” offer to join Manchester City 0