Aug 2, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
There are more reports that Frank Lampard will be back in the Premier League this Fall, but those salivating at the idea of the longtime Chelsea man squaring off against his old mates will be disappointed.
Sky Sports reporter Mark McAdam says that Lampard’s rumored loan move to Manchester City is happening, but that part of the agreement is that the veteran English midfielder will not be selected for matches against his old team.
Lampard, 36, recently signed for New York City FC of Major League Soccer after a storied career at Stamford Bridge.
There were rumors that he would join fellow NYCFC signing David Villa on loan at Australia’s Melbourne City, but the lure of the Premier League was too much to ignore.
CONFIRMED: Frank Lampard joins Man City on loan until the end of January, more on SSN now. He’s requested NOT to be selected v Chelsea.
— Mark McAdam (@markmcadamtv) August 2, 2014
It would certainly be a bizarre sight to see Lampard lining up against Chelsea, and it’ll be a wonder if he sees a ton of time in Manchester City’s midfield anyway. He’s still a great depth move for City and, at the very least, will provide a few more MLS mentions across the pond.
- FOLLOW LIVE — 2015 Copa America: Hosts Chile vs. Peru in semifinal no. 1 0
- Men in Blazers podcast special: USWNT’s Klingenberg talks defense, Germany, karate 0
- It’s official: Petr Cech has swapped London clubs, Chelsea to Arsenal 4
- Spanish football league becomes first to take legal action over Qatar World Cup dates 3
- England’s case of World Cup fever just what the doctor ordered for women’s soccer in Britain 3
- Agent confirms Carlos Bacca has reached agreement with AC Milan 0