Aug 2, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
El Tri star Rafa Marquez could be skipping Leon to join Serie A side Lazio, as the Rome-based side has reportedly offered the defender a one-year deal with the potential for more.
The Eagles recently added young Dutch star Stefan de Vrij to strengthen their defense, and Marquez would give them even more depth and experience.
Lazio finished ninth in Serie A last season, allowing 54 goals, a figure that put the club in the bottom half of the league in goals allowed. Still, Lazio finished just four points back of fifth and nine points back of fourth.
A stint with Lazio would be Marquez’s first in Italy. The 35-year-old back played at Atlas, Barcelona, Monaco, and New York Red Bulls before joining up with Leon in 2013, helping the club to Apertura and Clausura titles in consecutive seasons.
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 3
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 4
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 1
- League Cup Roundup: Balotelli saves Liverpool, Newcastle defeat Manchester City 0
- Report: Spanish legend Raul signs with the New York Cosmos 0