Aug 2, 2014, 7:09 AM EST
Real Madrid face off against Manchester United in Michigan this evening, but if you are heading to the match hoping to catch your fill of Cristiano Ronaldo, you’ll be sorely disappointed. The star forward will not play in Real’s final game of the International Champions Cup.
Ronaldo has missed out on playing in the entire preseason tour of the United States, as he is still trying to recover from a knee injury. Carlo Ancelotti prefers to be cautious. He wants Ronaldo available for the European Super Cup, in which Champions League title holders Real take on compatriots Sevilla, who won the Europa League last season. The match is on August 12.
Speaking about Ronaldo’s status, the Real Madrid manager said:
Ronaldo is working hard but we won’t put him out [Saturday]. He will begin training with the squad [in Spain] after the tour as we plan to use him in the Super Cup.
There’s no reason to risk Ronaldo, anyway. After losses to Roma and Internazionale, Real cannot progress to the Cup final.
Manchester United, however, still have a chance of lifting the International Champions Cup. They’ll clinch their place in the finals with a draw or better against Real. The Red Devils will then face either Liverpool or Manchester City in the final, with Liverpool needing a win later tonight to assure themselves of a trip to Miami on Monday.
If you’re hoping to catch Manchester United vs. Real Madrid, the game starts at 4:06 p.m. today, followed by Liverpool vs. AC Milan at 6:30 p.m.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Top-half teams jockey for position 0
- Premier League roundup: Big wins for Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and more 0
- Three things we learned from Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Player Ratings: How did Chelsea, Manchester City’s stand-in’s fare? 0
- Chelsea 1-1 Manchester City: Blues maintain five-point lead atop table 1
- Manchester United 3-1 Leicester City: Red Devils up to third 1