Aug 2, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
What a treat, an early game from the West Coast. It’s a Western Conference matchup as third-placed LA Galaxy takes on seventh-placed Portland Timbers. Watch live at 2:30 p.m. ET on NBC, and if you’re away from a TV, catch it streaming on NBC Live Extra.
This is the third time the two teams will meet this season — will either come away with all three points this time around? The first game, in Portland, ended 1-1. Things were a bit more exciting when they met the second time, and it looked like the Timbers would come away with the win before Rauwshan McKenzie scored an own-goal late in the game to even the score at 2-2.
The hosts go into the game on a high, having beaten Seattle Sounders 3-0 on Monday. The Galaxy sit eight points back in the West and still have the opportunity to make up the difference, with three games in hand on most of the league — although they’ve played just one less than the Sounders, who are top.
The Timbers are currently three games back of a playoff spot, and are hoping to build on their two-game winning streak. Last time out they beat Montreal Impact 3-2, taking all three points thanks to a late goal from Diego Valeri.
LA Galaxy: Penedo; Gargan, Gonzalez, DLG, Rogers; Ishizaki, Sarvas, Juninho, Donovan; Keane, Zardes
Subs: Rowe, Dunivant, Husidic, Meyer, Leonardo, Hoffman, Jamieson IV
Portland Timbers: Ricketts, Jewsbury, O’Rourke, Ridgewell, Harrington, Johnson (c), Fernández, Chara, Valeri, Urruti, Wallace
Subs: Weber, Paparatto, Villafana, Zemanski, Alhassan, Nanchoff, Adi
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 3