Aug 2, 2014, 2:09 PM EST
What a treat, an early game from the West Coast. It’s a Western Conference matchup as third-placed LA Galaxy takes on seventh-placed Portland Timbers. Watch live at 2:30 p.m. ET on NBC, and if you’re away from a TV, catch it streaming on NBC Live Extra.
This is the third time the two teams will meet this season — will either come away with all three points this time around? The first game, in Portland, ended 1-1. Things were a bit more exciting when they met the second time, and it looked like the Timbers would come away with the win before Rauwshan McKenzie scored an own-goal late in the game to even the score at 2-2.
The hosts go into the game on a high, having beaten Seattle Sounders 3-0 on Monday. The Galaxy sit eight points back in the West and still have the opportunity to make up the difference, with three games in hand on most of the league — although they’ve played just one less than the Sounders, who are top.
The Timbers are currently three games back of a playoff spot, and are hoping to build on their two-game winning streak. Last time out they beat Montreal Impact 3-2, taking all three points thanks to a late goal from Diego Valeri.
LA Galaxy: Penedo; Gargan, Gonzalez, DLG, Rogers; Ishizaki, Sarvas, Juninho, Donovan; Keane, Zardes
Subs: Rowe, Dunivant, Husidic, Meyer, Leonardo, Hoffman, Jamieson IV
Portland Timbers: Ricketts, Jewsbury, O’Rourke, Ridgewell, Harrington, Johnson (c), Fernández, Chara, Valeri, Urruti, Wallace
Subs: Weber, Paparatto, Villafana, Zemanski, Alhassan, Nanchoff, Adi
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0