Aug 2, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Liverpool and AC Milan continue their summer tours of the U.S. this evening, with the European giants set to kick off the finale of their International Champions Cup group stage in Charlotte, N.C. NBC Sports’ Rebecca Lwe, Arlo White, and Robbie Mustoe on hand at Bank of America Stadium, with coverage of the England vs. Italy battle beginning at 6:30 p.m. Eastern on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
Liverpool comes into the game first in its group, with its shootout win over Manchester City on Wednesday at Yankee Stadium leaving the Reds one point above City in Group B. Beat Milan today, and the Reds move into Monday’s final in Miami, where they’ll face either Manchester United or Real Madrid. Draw or lose, and their ICC future falls under the Citizens’ control.
AC Milan is already out of the tournament, having lost twice in its first two games, but with the Serie A season less than a month away, Saturday’s match provides valuable training time for Filippo Inzaghi’s squad. Selecting a relatively strong lineup, the first-year coach is clearly taking the opportunity seriously, hoping to reverse fortunes that have seen his team outscored by seven over the tournament’s first two games.
While Liverpool’s selection isn’t as strong, players like Sebastián Coates and Martin Kelly will get a chance to show what they can contribute this season, and with a trio of Lucas Leiva, Jordan Henderson, and Joe Allen in the middle, Brendan Rodgers is still starting a team that can exert control.
Here are your lineups:
Liverpool: Mignolet; Kelly, Toure, Coates, Robinson; Lucas, Henderson, Allen; Lambert, Ibe, Sterling
AC Milan: Abbiati; Abate, Bonera, Rami, De Sciglio; Essien, Muntari, Saponara; Niang, Pazzini, El Shaarawy
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1