Aug 2, 2014, 10:11 PM EST
Before the San Francisco 49ers debut in their new home, the San Jose Earthquakes are going to break it in. In front of that’s expected to exceed 40,000, the `Quakes will host Western Conference-leading Seattle, with live coverage beginning at 10:30 p.m. Eastern on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra.
San Jose will be looking to feed off the Levi’s Stadium crowd to climb out of the West’s cellar, with the 2012 Supporters’ Shield winners within three of eighth place Chivas USA coming into the weekend. Though they’ll be without defender Clarence Goodson, San Jose will feature the Chris Wondowski and Yannick Djaló up top, with the forward tandem helping the team to a 5-1 win in its last match against Chicago.
Seattle comes into tonight’s match with its trend line pointing the other direction, with a 3-0 loss to visiting Los Angeles sending a fright through the Sounders’ fan base. For a group that’s suffered through late season disappointment three years in a row, Seattle’s fans have been a resilient group, but any repeat of last fall’s collapse will test the patience of the league’s largest fan base.
Tonight in Santa Clara, the Clint Dempsey, Obafemi Martins, and the Seattle Sounders get their chance to recapture their form. San Jose, on the other hand, can spark a late surge toward the playoff race.
Here are your lineups:
San Jose: Busch; Francis, Bernardez, Hernandez, Stewart; Harris, Cronin, Pierazzi, Salines; Djaló, Wondolowski
Seattle: Frei; Yedlin, Anibaba, Scott, Gonzalez; Evans, Alonso, Pineda, Pappa; Dempsey, Martins
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 3
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3
- Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope 1
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 1