Aug 3, 2014, 6:04 PM EDT
The match also marked the return of Didier Drogba in blue, but the Ivorian was unable to help his team as they barely offered anything on the offensive.
The German club bagged its first in the 20th minute when Dutch winger Eljero Elia converted a penalty following a Terry handball in the box. The successful spot kick sailed by Courtois, who was playing his first minutes in a Chelsea shirt after spending three years on loan at Atletico Madrid.
The second came 17 minutes later as Ludovic Obraniak expertly headed home past Courtois, leaping above the Chelsea defense of Terry and Kurt Zouma to poke an unsaveable header into the back of the net.
Courtois did pick up one excellent save, on former Blue Franco Di Santo, as the Belgian keeper stretched far to his right to stop a free header.
His goalkeeping competition didn’t fare much better in the second half, as Cech conceeded Bremen’s third in the final minutes as young Chelsea defender Nathan Ake brought down Nils Peterson in the box, and Felix Kroos – younger brother of Toni Kroos – pounded home the penalty.
Chelsea had little going forward, and while Hazard made a small impact looking to pair up with Drogba at the front, it was a poor effort overall.
The loss is the first of the preseason for Chelsea. They have wins over Wycombe Wanderers, AFC Wimbledon, Vitesse Arnham, and Slovenian side NK Olimpija Ljubljana. They have one more preseason fixture to go before the Premier League season starts, a date with Real Sociedad at home.
- LOGO: Atlanta United unveils logo, makes name official at Tuesday event 0
- FOLLOW LIVE: USMNT begins Gold Cup defense versus Honduras (Lineups) 0
- WATCH: President Obama calls & congratulates USWNT, invites team to White House 0
- 2015 Gold Cup predictions: Can the USMNT win back-to-back titles? Here’s our picks… 1
- Where does Andrea Pirlo joining New York City FC rank in history of MLS mega-deals? 3
- 2015 Gold Cup: USMNT player profiles – Midfielders 0