Aug 3, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
New York Red Bulls’ U-23 side completed their national championship run through the National Premier Soccer League with a 3-1 win over Chattanooga FC at Red Bull Arena on Saturday night.
Scott Thomsen (Virginia), Joe Farrell (La Salle), and Sammy Adjei Jr (Iona) scored for New York, which went 12-0 with 54 goals compared to just four allowed, finishing the season unbeaten. For those wondering, Adjei is the son of the former Ghana international keeper.
[ MORE: MLS Snapshot -- New York 2-1 New England ]
There are 78 teams in the NPSL, one of two leagues functioning at US Soccer’s fourth-tier (The PDL title features Michigan Bucks and Kitsap Pumas on Sunday afternoon). New York is a first-time league winner, joining 11 other teams to have won the title once.
Chattanooga was coming off a semi-final win over Sacramento Gold in front of nearly 9,000 home fans. The Red Bulls U-23s beat Lansing United in their semifinal.
Farrell came away with PUMA Player of the Game honors after scoring the game-winning goal and putting on a strong defensive performance.
“It was a magical night,” New York Red Bulls U-23s head coach Simon Nee stated. “It made such a wonderful experience for the boys. It really wraps up a great season. We had a great group, a lot of quality and a lot of returning guys. It was thoroughly earned; the boys worked really hard.”
U.S. Soccer head honcho Sunil Gulati was on-hand for the event, which was played immediately after the Red Bulls first team beat New England 2-1.
- Steven Gerrard will play somewhere next season, Liverpool deal or not 0
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12