Aug 3, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT
New York Red Bulls’ U-23 side completed their national championship run through the National Premier Soccer League with a 3-1 win over Chattanooga FC at Red Bull Arena on Saturday night.
Scott Thomsen (Virginia), Joe Farrell (La Salle), and Sammy Adjei Jr (Iona) scored for New York, which went 12-0 with 54 goals compared to just four allowed, finishing the season unbeaten. For those wondering, Adjei is the son of the former Ghana international keeper.
[ MORE: MLS Snapshot -- New York 2-1 New England ]
There are 78 teams in the NPSL, one of two leagues functioning at US Soccer’s fourth-tier (The PDL title features Michigan Bucks and Kitsap Pumas on Sunday afternoon). New York is a first-time league winner, joining 11 other teams to have won the title once.
Chattanooga was coming off a semi-final win over Sacramento Gold in front of nearly 9,000 home fans. The Red Bulls U-23s beat Lansing United in their semifinal.
Farrell came away with PUMA Player of the Game honors after scoring the game-winning goal and putting on a strong defensive performance.
“It was a magical night,” New York Red Bulls U-23s head coach Simon Nee stated. “It made such a wonderful experience for the boys. It really wraps up a great season. We had a great group, a lot of quality and a lot of returning guys. It was thoroughly earned; the boys worked really hard.”
U.S. Soccer head honcho Sunil Gulati was on-hand for the event, which was played immediately after the Red Bulls first team beat New England 2-1.
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0
- Watch live: West Ham United vs. Liverpool (Lineups) 0
- VIDEO: Arsenal score three times in 192 seconds, as Gunners explode 0
- Queens Park Rangers 2-2 Stoke City: Kranjcar’s cracker saves QPR 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 5 0