Aug 3, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
New York Red Bulls sporting director Andy Roxburgh has categorically denied the rumors of his club signing Ronaldinho in one of the most complete and emphatic denials in a while.
In fact, Roxburgh’s talk with BigAppleSoccer.com goes even further in its clarifications on the Brazilian’s rumored move to Major League Soccer: it wasn’t even in his mind until he saw the report.
[ RELATED: Fire confirm offer for Jermaine Jones ]
And the Red Bulls wouldn’t be interested, anyway:
“Nobody has ever approached us. We haven’t been approached by anybody mentioning Ronaldinho,” Roxburgh told BigAppleSoccer.com. “And the name suddenly cames at us and the answer is no…
“All I’m saying is this, as the sporting director of this club, and I can speak also on behalf of my other colleagues in the business, we have not been approached about him. Nobody has offered us Ronaldinho. No one has said ‘How much money?’
“I saw his name but I’ve never talked to Ronaldinho or his people or made any offers. And the answer is we wouldn’t be doing it anyway. It’s not a matter of did we or didn’t we? Or who spoke to him or who didn’t speak to him? A great player by the way, fantastic player by the way. He’s not for here.”
Silly season at its finest.
- EXCLUSIVE: US Olympic coach Andi Herzog on Rio 2016, MLS, over-age players and more 0
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 5
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0
- Three things we learned from USA U-23’s defeat vs. England U-21 0
- If you’ve ever criticized Jurgen Klinsmann or his USMNT, you don’t understand soccer 36
- How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru? 9