Aug 3, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
While Jermaine Jones to Chicago continues to dominate the latter stages of the MLS transfer window and Frank Lampard finds his way to Manchester City on loan, the rest of the world’s silly season rolls on with some of the same big names linked to new places.
Mario Balotelli has been a much-mentioned striker on the move, and AC Milan has not gone out of its way to claim adoration for the 23-year-old Italian. Now it seems Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool may be able to take advantage of Milan’s readiness to part with the striker, all for a relatively-modest $23 million.
The Sun claims that Spurs are hot on the trail of Samuel Eto’o, but it’s a younger striker who has earned the love of White Hart Lane, according to The Sunday Mirror. Tottenham is taking a long look at Swansea/Ivory Coast forward Wilfried Bony, and remains resolute in pursuit of Southampton want-away Morgan Schneiderlin. On the Bony tip, Swans manager Garry Monk continues to claim Bony is going nowhere.
The Mirror also claims that Arsenal is ready to step into the pursuit of Germany back Mats Hummels, if indeed the Borussia Dortmund player can be pried away from the Bundesliga club. Manchester United has been heavily linked with Hummels, but UEFA Champions League football could be a motivator in his eventual decision.
Cardiff City’s Championship run may or may not include Gary Medel and Jordon Mutch, with the former being long-linked to an Italy move and the latter subject to interest from Queens Park Rangers and Sunderland (and surely others, if the youngster is available). Bluebirds boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said that he wants resolution, and fast.
“We have already reached an agreement with the English club and the player has given his availability, it will be a loan with right of a permanent deal.”
And the Dani Osvaldo to Inter deal will indeed net Southampton the services of Saphir Taider, according to Sky Sports.
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 3
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4