Aug 4, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT
After a year-and-a-half away from the MLS, defender Carlos Valdes is set to return to the Philadelphia Union.
The Colombian defender started 65 matches for the Union throughout his two-year stint in Philadelphia, and was named club captain for the 2012 season. But in an effort to boost his chances of being selected for the World Cup, the center back was sent on loan to South American clubs. After stints in Colombia and Argentina, Valdes made Colombia’s final roster, and played the full 90 minutes in his country’s 4-1 victory over Japan.
A 2012 MLS All-Star, Valdes will help a Union backline that has surrendered 36 goals in 22 games this season. With upcoming matches against league-worst Montreal and the defensively-suspect Houston Dynamo, Philadelphia has a chance to earn valuable points in the MLS standings.
Valdes will play under Jim Curtin, who was named interim manager following the firing of John Hackworth in June. The club has played well under Curtin, a hometown product who played at nearby Villanova University, but still sits three points outside of the playoff race. Prior to the announcement of Valdes’ return, Curtin had stated his desire to resign the Colombian international and said the club had made an “aggressive offer” to lock up the defender.
The center back is joining fellow World Cup alum Rais M’Bolhi, who was recently signed by Philadelphia on July 30. M’Bolhi had a stellar performance in net for Algeria, leading his team through the group stage to the knockout round. The goalkeeper was named Man of the Match for his 11-save performance against Germany, even though his Algerian side lost 2-1 in extra time. The additions of two international stars will give the Union a much better chance at clinching a playoff berth.
- MLS Snapshot: Columbus Crew SC 3-0 Orlando City SC 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Can Spurs, Man City find hope versus Newcastle, West Ham? 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea closer to title; Leicester climb off the bottom 0
- Despite defeat to Chelsea, Louis van Gaal hails Manchester United’s “best match of season” 1
- Three things we learned from Chelsea’s win vs. Manchester United 3
- Chelsea 1-0 Manchester United: Hazard leads defensive Blues past Red Devils (video) 0