Aug 4, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Darren Fletcher has been with Manchester United for nearly 20 years, and under new manager Louis van Gaal, he has regained his form after multiple battles with injury and illness.
Down to their final penalty kick in their preseason match against Inter Milan, Darren Fletcher stepped up to the spot and coolly buried his shot into the side netting as Manchester United remained undefeated in America. Fletcher has scored his share of big goals for United, including the game-winning header against Chelsea in 2005 and a pair of goals to help defeat bitter rivals Manchester City in 2009. But after a battle with ulcerative colitis that saw him miss nearly two full seasons, his future in football seemed to be in doubt.
Now healthy and getting back to playing football that once had Fletcher pinned as one of United’s best young prospects, the 30-year-old has looked excellent leading up to the 2014-15 Premier League season. With Louis van Gaal implementing a new formation and style of play, Fletcher has led United in minutes this preseason while sitting in the center of midfield alongside new signing Ander Herrera.
With usual starter Michael Carrick out for an extended period of time following ankle surgery, Fletcher has made the most of his opportunity. He has worn the captain’s armband in three of the four preseason matches, and will be a top contender to be named skipper during the Premier League campaign.
Fletcher is smart defensively in the middle, allowing Spanish playmakers Ander Herrera and Juan Mata to join in on the attack. With over 200 appearances for the club, he has also become a leader on and off the pitch with the departures of seasoned veterans Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic. As long as he can stay healthy, Darren Fletcher will play a consistent role in United’s chase for the Premier League title.
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 2
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 4
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0