Aug 4, 2014, 6:49 PM EDT
Cardiff City’s disappointing season in the Premier League couldn’t diminished the promise of Jordon Mutch, a 22-year-old midfielder who scored seven goals during his return to the top flight. Now, while the Bluebirds go back to life in the second division, Mutch has been given more time in the first division, with Queens Park Rangers pulling the Birmingham City product into an already deep midfield.
According to multiple sources out of England, the Rs have agreed to terms with Cardiff on Mutch’s move, with reports putting the fee at between $8.4 and $10.1 million. Provided he passes his Tuesday medical, Mutch becomes the second Cardiff player to join QPR this summer, following in the footsteps of defender Steven Caulker.
Capable of playing through the middle or on the left, Mutch joins an enviable collection of midfield talent; at least, enviable compared to the typical talent coming up from the second tier. Between Joey Barton nd Karl Henry, QPR already has a players with Premier League experience to man the middle. Alejandro Faurlín is returning, while Adel Taarabt, Junior Hoilett, and Matt Phillips provide attacking options. The Rs may have been in the Championship last season, but they have a number of options.
What makes Mutch different is his age. Whereas QPR has spent the last few years collecting veterans who’ve trickled down the ladder, Mutch combines hope for the future with somebody who’s already had success at the top-level. Should Barton become a problem or Harry Redknapp want a more versatile player than Henry, the Rs will have options, particularly if tougher competition forces them to play five in midfield.
If anything, the Rangers seem overloaded. With players like Mutch coming in, perhaps Barton or Taarabt are set to move on. Thanks to purchases like today’s, though, QPR can afford to pursue some return on their more established stars.
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 0
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 2
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 1
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 8