Dempsey wants to rep USMNT into 2016; unsure of future European loans

Aug 5, 2014, 12:11 PM EST

Clint Dempsey AP

Clint Dempsey wants to factor in Jurgen Klinsmann’s plans for the Copa America Centenario set to played on U.S. soil in 2016.

Dempsey hasn’t spoken a ton about his future plans or hopes to be part of the United States team. The 31-year-old striker scored a pair of goals for the Yanks at the World Cup this summer, including the opening minute stunner against Ghana.

[ RELATED: Clint Dempsey wants US to push for a trophy at Copa America 2016 ]

Speaking ahead of the MLS All-Star Game in Portland, the Seattle Sounders attacker was asked about his USMNT future, as well as his plans for club play after the 2014 MLS season. He signed a four-year contract with Seattle in 2013.

From Goal.com:

“For me, I just hope that I’m part of the plans and I definitely want to push for Copa America for sure because it’s a tournament I’ve never had an opportunity to play in,” Dempsey continued.

“I’ve always watched those games. Most of the time it’s been in South America but, with it being on American soil in 2016, playing in a competition like that would be pretty awesome.

“Hopefully that’s in the cards for me, but it’s not my decision. I have to work hard and make sure I’m playing well to even get called in and I have to see if I’ll even be a part of the plans.

What is Klinsmann thinking in terms of the roster for 2016? Much of Dempsey’s inclusion will have to do with his skill set and speed over the next two years, but with two major tournaments in 2016 — one a U-23 tournament, the Summer Olympics — the player pool will be wide and deep.

Dempsey was loaned to Fulham last winter, where the American did not have a particularly productive time. He did not rule out making a similar move once this MLS season is complete:

“I’m not saying definitely no, and not saying definitely yes,” the American attacker told Goal ahead of starring for an MLS All-Star team in a friendly against Bayern Munich this week.

“The way the contract was structured, I was able to make one loan move during the time that I was here and I’ve already used that up, so it’s one of those situations.”

Certainly there would be demand for Dempsey in Europe, though perhaps not in the Premier League after last winter. But at what point would the experience move from ‘keeping him fresh’ to unnecessarily wearing away at the trentagenarian’s energy.

Latest Posts
  1. Feature on Kevin Alston details Revolution defender’s battle with leukemia

Nov 28, 2014, 7:58 AM EST

New England Revolution v New York Red Bulls - Eastern Conference Final - Leg 1 Getty Images

Vice Sports writer Kevin Koczwara has the story of Alston’s fight with chronic myelogenous leukemia.

2. New England Revolution, 90 minutes from MLS Cup, must simply avoid second-leg disaster vs. Red Bulls

Nov 27, 2014, 11:15 PM EST

Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies

It’s been a long time since the New England Revolution lost by mulitple goals, which the New York Red Bulls must achieve to reach MLS Cup 2014.

3. Europa League roundup: Spurs, Celtic advance; Inter Milan, Fiorentina clinch top spots

Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 PM EST

The big Europa League sides have begun to advance to the knockout round, with a few more very close to joining them.

4. Everton win Europa League group, qualify for knockout round

Nov 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EST

Toffees seal spot in Europa League knockout rounds after terrific away day display.

5. Five investigated, including three FIFA execs, in World Cup corruption probe

Nov 27, 2014, 3:17 PM EST

64th FIFA Congress 64th FIFA Congress

Three FIFA ExCo members and German legend latest to be under the spotlight.

6. Pele moved to “special care” unit as treatment continues

Nov 27, 2014, 2:05 PM EST

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, Pele AP

Brazilian legend hospitalized for second time this month.

7. English FA charge Dave Whelan after anti-Semitic, racist comments

Nov 27, 2014, 1:15 PM EST

Barnsley v Wigan Athletic - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Whelan charged by FA over accusations of anti-Semitic, racist remarks.

8. VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League

Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EST

Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

Can Spurs and Everton make a top four charge? Will Saints stun Man City?

9. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

10. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

11. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

12. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

13. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

14. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

15. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

16. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday