Aug 5, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
From West Bromwich Albion to MLS All-Star in one month. Nobody said it would be this easy.
Of course, in actuality, the addition of former Premier League defender Liam Ridgewell to the MLS All Star Game roster is simply a quick fix.
[ RELATED: Dwyer replaces Defoe for MLS All Stars ]
MLS All-Star team and Portland head coach Caleb Porter didn’t want a late ailment for Real Salt Lake’s Kyle Beckerman to upset another club’s apple cart, so he just grabbed a back off his roster.
“Under the circumstances in losing a player at this late point in time, I felt it was best to pull in a player that wouldn’t disrupt the other clubs and their preparation this week,” Porter said in a statement. “Liam will be a quality addition.”
Portland signed Ridgewell as a Designated Player from English Premier League side West Bromwich Albion on June 25. He made more than 300 appearances during 12 seasons in England with West Brom, Birmingham City and Aston Villa. Ridgewell made his MLS debut on July 18 in Portland’s 2-1 win against Colorado and has started all three games in which he’s featured.
The MLS All-Stars face Bayern Munich at 9:30pm ET on Wednesday night.
Current MLS All-Star Roster
GK: Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), Bill Hamid (Chicago)
MF: Clint Dempsey (Seattle), Michael Bradley (Toronto), Graham Zusi(Sporting KC), Osvaldo Alonso (Seattle), Tim Cahill (New York), Will Johnson (Portland), Diego Valeri (Portland), Maurice Edu (Philadelphia)
FW: Obafemi Martins (Seattle), Landon Donovan (L.A.), Thierry Henry (New York), Dom Dwyer (Sporting KC), Erick Torres (Chivas USA), Bradley Wright-Phillips (New York)
- Europa League Preview: Everton head to Russia, Spurs host Besiktas 0
- Report: Diego Maradona nearing deal to manage Palestinian National Team 1
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 5
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 1
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1