Aug 6, 2014, 8:33 PM EST
Memphis Depay was one of the breakout players of World Cup, and new Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino was among the many to set his sights on the 20-year-old Dutchman.
The Mirror reports that Spurs were prepared to offer Nacer Chadli and $17 million to PSV in order to pry the youngster from the Eredivisie, but Chadli wants to stay and fight for his place at White Hart Lane.
But according to the report, Pochettino isn’t giving up on the transfer.
Depay, who scored 13 goals for PSV last term, impressed under Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal for Holland at the World Cup.
The new Old Trafford boss has so far recommended Depay should stay in the Eredivisie for one more season to continue his development.
But Depay is ready to join Jan Vertonghen and Christian Eriksen who have swapped Dutch football for White Hart Lane.
Depay netted twice for the Netherlands at the World Cup, against Australia and Chile.
Depay, who prefers to eschew his last name in favor of Memphis, is an incredibly-promising talent and could be an electric presence in North London.
And Chadli’s refusal to leave may raise the cost, but it’s not exactly like Spurs need to move him. With 23 Belgium caps at age 25, Chadli may find his Premier League game after being settled into English season No. 2.
Would $25 million be enough? Is Tottenham willing to pay it? It’s only roughly 1/5 of Luis Suarez, after all.
- NBC Sports to air first-ever “Premier League Breakaway” show on New Year’s Day 0
- DeAndre Yedlin granted work permit, heading to Tottenham Hotspur 2
- Geoff Cameron: Eden Hazard is “best I’ve played against” in Premier League 0
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6