Aug 6, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
A team constantly in flux now has one bit of consistency outside Cristiano Ronaldo.
With parts coming in and going out around him, Karim Benzema has signed a new 5-year contract extension with Real Madrid, signalling his intent to stay with the reigning Champions League winners.
Part of the job description of playing at a high level at the Bernabeu includes dealing with constant transfer rumors, which Benzema has done throughout his five-year stay at Real Madrid.
Now, he can potentially add five more years to that total, with 111 goals and 233 appearances to his name and looking for more.
With so many attacking players at Real Madrid, there has been plenty of speculation that Benzema was on his way out – most recently to Liverpool, where his reported rejection caused a hilarious reaction by a former player. With the added distraction of Madrid’s interest in Colombian striker Radamel Falcao adding to the swirling rumors, life is never standing still for Benzema.
It takes a special kind of player to allow such a conglomeration of star wingers to maintain the spotlight while still producing enough yourself, but Benzema flowed brilliantly in Carlo Ancelotti’s system and he was justly rewarded. Those who categorize Benzema as a poacher would be incomplete in their description, having created a whopping 63 chances in La Liga play last year.
At just 26 years old, Benzema’s new five-year deal is the perfect length for both club and player, allowing the club a way out if he ages by 31 and giving the player the ability to earn another payday if he’s able to produce that long.
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1
- Premier League Playback: Manchester United prove they can challenge Chelsea for the title 2
- Sepp Blatter: Putin, Russia will host “best ever World Cup” in 2018 3
- Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale set to miss three weeks, Champions League clash vs. Atletico, with injury 1