Aug 6, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
20-year-old right-back and Atletico academy product Javier Manquillo has joined the Reds on a two-year loan with The Guardian reporting the deal has an option to buy for about $8.4 million.
Manquillo has made regular appearances for the Spanish U-21 side recently, but could only muster three La Liga appearances and one in the Champions League for Atletico.
“From a personal point of view it was a disappointing year for me,” Manquillo told Liverpool’s official website following the transfer. “I was unlucky with injury, but for the group as a whole it was a brilliant year. We managed to achieve things that from the outset appeared almost impossible, so let’s hope that I find something similar here; a team that has the highest aspirations and can win as much as possible.”
“When they tell you Liverpool want to sign you, I think like any player, you are going to be absolutely amazed and you don’t think of anything else than going straight there,” Manquillo said.
Glen Johnson currently mans the right-back position and Liverpool also has young Englishman Jon Flanagan, but at just 20 years of age, Manquillo has time to make an impact at Anfield.
The youngster began his youth career at Real Madrid before moving across town to Atletico at the age of 13.
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Bayern Munich: Aguero’s hat trick hands Citizens lifeline 3
- Schalke 0-5 Chelsea: Blues with an untouchable performance against old boss 0
- Lionel Messi breaks Raul’s record for Champions League goals (video) 0
- LIVE – Champions League: Manchester City vs. Bayern Munich, Chelsea to Schalke 0
- Report: Sony will not renew sponsorship with FIFA over future World Cup shroud 3