Aug 6, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
20-year-old right-back and Atletico academy product Javier Manquillo has joined the Reds on a two-year loan with The Guardian reporting the deal has an option to buy for about $8.4 million.
Manquillo has made regular appearances for the Spanish U-21 side recently, but could only muster three La Liga appearances and one in the Champions League for Atletico.
“From a personal point of view it was a disappointing year for me,” Manquillo told Liverpool’s official website following the transfer. “I was unlucky with injury, but for the group as a whole it was a brilliant year. We managed to achieve things that from the outset appeared almost impossible, so let’s hope that I find something similar here; a team that has the highest aspirations and can win as much as possible.”
“When they tell you Liverpool want to sign you, I think like any player, you are going to be absolutely amazed and you don’t think of anything else than going straight there,” Manquillo said.
Glen Johnson currently mans the right-back position and Liverpool also has young Englishman Jon Flanagan, but at just 20 years of age, Manquillo has time to make an impact at Anfield.
The youngster began his youth career at Real Madrid before moving across town to Atletico at the age of 13.
- MLS Snapshot: New England Revolution 4-0 Real Salt Lake 0
- MLS Snapshot: Columbus Crew SC 4-1 Philadelphia Union 0
- Premier League roundup: Tense Saturday, as relegation battle intensifies 0
- Manchester City 3-2 Aston Villa: Stunning finish sees City hold on after Guzan’s blunder 2
- Back in the big time: Watford promoted to the Premier League 3
- Burnley 0-1 Leicester City: Foxes move out of drop zone, send Clarets bottom! 0