Aug 6, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Neymar has been cleared by doctors to return to training, and returned to the field for Barcelona, albeit still separately from regular team training.
The young Brazilian striker fractured a vertebrae during the World Cup, reportedly coming millimeters from being paralyzed.
Instead, he is back after just a month, however there is no timetable for when he will be fully fit. The club says they will monitor his return to the practice field and build a schedule from there.
“Neymar underwent a check up on his back injury with Barca this morning,” the club said on its official website, “with the club doctors expressing their satisfaction with his recovery which will continue with a specific training program.”
In a spell of great timing, fellow striker Lionel Messi also returned after some time off after reaching the World Cup final.
Managers often give players a rest after the grueling schedule of a World Cup, and Messi maxed out that schedule with Argentina’s run to the final match. Other World Cup participants on Barcelona’s payroll – for which there were plenty – have been slowly making their ways back.
Messi’s international teammate and World Cup standout Javier Mascherano returned as well, along with Dani Alves
He passed a simple exam and is back on the field for Barcelona, with nothing in his way of the starting lineup as the Catalans open their La Liga schedule against Elche at the Nou Camp on August 24 against Elche.
They have three friendlies before that date, against Napoli, Lyon, and Finnish club HJK.
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 0
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 6
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0