Aug 7, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Bradley Wright-Phillips has burst onto the Major League Soccer scene this season after the New York Red Bulls acquired him in July 2013, currently the season-leader in goals with 18 tallies in 18 starts, an impressive 1-to-1 ratio.
Last night saw the MLS All Stars take down the mighty Bayern Munich, albeit a friendly match for the Bundesliga club, and Wright-Phillips stood at the forefront of the MLS’ 2-1 victory, as the striker notched a wonderful volley to knot the score, 1-1, in the 51st minute.
Courtesy of MLSSoccer.com, the goal is available in slow motion below.
The New York Red Bulls forward was glad to execute such a spectacular finish, attributing his success against a European powerhouse to the great form he’s enjoyed in MLS, via Goal.com.
“Just enjoyed it man, nothing much,” he said after the game. “Just happy to score. “I took a touch, hoped for the best, and just smashed it.”
“We strikers, when we’re scoring, we’re confident, and we’ll try and hit anything. When it’s not going so well you don’t, so it’s just one of those things. When I stop scoring, you’ll be saying other things.”
Wright-Phillips has also been linked with an call-up to England’s national team, but he has completely denied such rumors.
“Nah, nah, England’s a bit too much for me. I think England has got some great players. Obviously I’m doing okay but I think that’s going a bit too far.”
For those hoping that soccer in the United States has made strides, it was definitely nice to see the stars of MLS perform that well against a top world side, but witnessing Wright-Phillips goal was almost as satisfying because we, as with every excellent score, can have a little more faith in the eye-popping value of MLS.
- WATCH: Every Premier League game live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 4 0
- Watch Live: Newcastle United vs. Arsenal (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Wolfsburg sporting director: “De Bruyne is off to Manchester City” 0
- Report: Manchester United planning massive $112 million bid for Arjen Robben 7
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Home advantage for heavyweights – Week 4 2
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 4 0