Landon Donovan explains retirement, hails US fans as soccer’s “lifeblood”

Aug 7, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

On Thursday Landon Donovan announced his retirement from professional soccer.

The all-time leading scorer in Major League Soccer will hang up his boots at the end of the 2014 season and the greatest soccer player the U.S. has ever produced will walk off the field for the final time.

[RELATED: Did LD retire early after World Cup snub?]

Donovan was named the MVP of Major League Soccer’s 2014 All-Star Game on Wednesday evening in Portland, as he jumped off the bench to score the winning goal for MLS against Bayern Munich. After a summer of disappointment at not making Jurgen Klinsmann’s final 23-man roster for the 2014 World Cup, it seems as though Donovan will never suit up in the Stars and Stripes again, as he calls it quits.

[RELATED: Donovan to retire]

Below the 32-year-old forward explains his decision to walk away from the professional game, after posting the emotional message via his personal Facebook page. Donovan thanks his teammates, coaches and reserves a special mention for the fans in America who have helped the game develop drastically over the past decade.

Here’s what LD had to say.

After careful deliberation and after many conversations with those closest to me, I have decided that this will be my last season as a professional soccer player.

I don’t write these words lightly and this day carries mixed emotions for me. I am sad to leave a profession that has brought me so much joy. I will miss all of the teammates who helped me create so many incredible memories on-the-field, and who I have shared many wonderful experiences with off-the-field. I will miss my coaches, at both the club and national team levels, who have helped me develop throughout my career and helped make me the player I am today. However, after spending half my life as a professional soccer player, I also am excited to begin a new chapter and pursue other opportunities that will challenge me and allow me to grow as a person.

There are so many people I want to thank who have inspired me, guided me and helped me on this incredible journey. I simply could not have accomplished what I did during my playing career without an overwhelming amount of support from my family, my friends and many others. I plan to express my gratitude to everyone in a more detailed manner at a later date; however, for now, I want to single out the fans. You are the lifeblood of this sport and, without you, none of us would be fortunate to call ourselves professional soccer players in MLS.

I feel incredibly blessed and lucky to have played a role in the remarkable growth of MLS and US Soccer during my playing career. And while my career as a player will soon be over, rest assured I will stay connected on many levels to the beautiful game.

As we enter a transformative time for the sport, I will do everything I can to help the continued growth of soccer in the United States. I look forward to making a difference, pursuing my passions and meeting all of you along the way in this next phase of my life.

With gratitude,

Landon

Latest Posts
  1. It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14

Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT

James Rodriguez AP

“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.

2. Brendan Rodgers remarks on Balotelli and Pepe’s halftime shirt swap

Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.

3. VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

Erik Hurtado AP

Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.

4. UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll

Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, AP

We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.

5. Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool

Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.

6. Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win

Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

The 21-year-old Honduran international did what a dangerous Alexis Sanchez couldn’t, but Arsenal was rescued late.

7. Michel Platini denies making ebola comments which angered African Confederation

Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT

Platini Getty Images

The CAF claimed Platini said something he didn’t, and it hurt his feelings.

8. Setting the scene at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in UEFA Champions League

Oct 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID FBL-EUR-C1-LIVERPOOL-REALMADRID

Here’s what it’s like at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League.

9. FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League returns for Wednesday slate

Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

Ronaldo Getty Images

With yesterday’s goal frenzy, will today give us the same excitement?

10. Robinho being investigated for sexually assaulting teenager

Oct 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT

Robinho Getty Images

This is the second time Robinho is under investigation for such an alleged incident.

11. David Villa’s time in Australia could be up already

Oct 22, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Villa Getty Images

NYCFC’s first Designated Player will be returning to the United States to fulfill commercial and marketing obligations, and it’s unclear whether he will make his way back to Australia to finish out his loan.

12. WATCH: Geoff Cameron says he’s fighting for a central position

Oct 22, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT

Cameron Getty Images

Now that he’s back from a hernia problem, the American told Stoke’s YouTube channel that he is no longer a right-back and the club is aware of where he wants to play.

13. Men in Blazers podcast: Whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, Klinsmann-Garber, plus Josh Lambo

Oct 22, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT

meninblazers

Rog and Davo gain whiplash from QPR-Liverpool, and the Jurgen Klinsmann-Don Garber saga.

14. Portland Timbers out of CONCACAF CL after loss in Honduras

Oct 22, 2014, 9:20 AM EDT

TimbersOlimpia Getty Images

The MLS side was eliminated from group stage play on an away goals tiebreaker as Honduran side Olimpia goes through.

15. FA investigating racial abuse in Championship match

Oct 22, 2014, 8:42 AM EDT

BellusciJerome Getty Images

Norwich striker Cameron Jerome complained to Mark Clattenburg that a Leeds player was racially abusing him, and the matter is being investigated.

16. Podolski to speak to Wenger, Arsenal about his future

Oct 22, 2014, 7:46 AM EDT

Podolski Getty Images

Arsenal’s energetic German winger loves the club, but admitted he can’t sit on the bench forever.

17. QPR chairman releases statement on Redknapp-Taarabt feud

Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT

Tony Fernandes looks on at Loftus Road during a QPR match this season. Getty Images

“On behalf of the club, I would like to apologise to the QPR supporters for the embarrassment this has caused,” Fernandes wrote.

18. Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best?

Oct 21, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT

Edinson Cavani AP

Who scored the best goal in Tuesday’s Champions League action?

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?