Landon Donovan explains retirement, hails US fans as soccer’s “lifeblood”

Aug 7, 2014, 1:58 PM EST

On Thursday Landon Donovan announced his retirement from professional soccer.

The all-time leading scorer in Major League Soccer will hang up his boots at the end of the 2014 season and the greatest soccer player the U.S. has ever produced will walk off the field for the final time.

[RELATED: Did LD retire early after World Cup snub?]

Donovan was named the MVP of Major League Soccer’s 2014 All-Star Game on Wednesday evening in Portland, as he jumped off the bench to score the winning goal for MLS against Bayern Munich. After a summer of disappointment at not making Jurgen Klinsmann’s final 23-man roster for the 2014 World Cup, it seems as though Donovan will never suit up in the Stars and Stripes again, as he calls it quits.

[RELATED: Donovan to retire]

Below the 32-year-old forward explains his decision to walk away from the professional game, after posting the emotional message via his personal Facebook page. Donovan thanks his teammates, coaches and reserves a special mention for the fans in America who have helped the game develop drastically over the past decade.

Here’s what LD had to say.

After careful deliberation and after many conversations with those closest to me, I have decided that this will be my last season as a professional soccer player.

I don’t write these words lightly and this day carries mixed emotions for me. I am sad to leave a profession that has brought me so much joy. I will miss all of the teammates who helped me create so many incredible memories on-the-field, and who I have shared many wonderful experiences with off-the-field. I will miss my coaches, at both the club and national team levels, who have helped me develop throughout my career and helped make me the player I am today. However, after spending half my life as a professional soccer player, I also am excited to begin a new chapter and pursue other opportunities that will challenge me and allow me to grow as a person.

There are so many people I want to thank who have inspired me, guided me and helped me on this incredible journey. I simply could not have accomplished what I did during my playing career without an overwhelming amount of support from my family, my friends and many others. I plan to express my gratitude to everyone in a more detailed manner at a later date; however, for now, I want to single out the fans. You are the lifeblood of this sport and, without you, none of us would be fortunate to call ourselves professional soccer players in MLS.

I feel incredibly blessed and lucky to have played a role in the remarkable growth of MLS and US Soccer during my playing career. And while my career as a player will soon be over, rest assured I will stay connected on many levels to the beautiful game.

As we enter a transformative time for the sport, I will do everything I can to help the continued growth of soccer in the United States. I look forward to making a difference, pursuing my passions and meeting all of you along the way in this next phase of my life.

With gratitude,

Landon

Latest Posts
  1. Pep Guardiola on Bayern’s stunning loss to Wolfsburg: ‘They were better at the right moments’

Jan 30, 2015, 10:59 PM EST

Germany Soccer Champions League AP

Bayern Munich head man Pep Guardiola sees where his squad went wrong in its 4-1 defeat against Bundesliga opponent VfL Wolfsburg.

2. Premier League Preview: Manchester United vs. Leceister City

Jan 30, 2015, 9:08 PM EST

Leicester City v Manchester United - Premier League Getty Images

Preview of a previously eye-catching match, Manchester City v. Leicester City, tomorrow morning on NBCSN.

3. Burnley adamant that striker Danny Ings isn’t headed to Liverpool

Jan 30, 2015, 7:00 PM EST

danny_ings

Danny Ings looks poised to stay at Burnley due to a certain transfer rule that would block his departure to Liverpool.

4. US international Joe Gyau has second surgery, could be out for rest of year

Jan 30, 2015, 6:05 PM EST

2012 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying - Day 3 Getty Images

United States and Borussia Dortmund II’s Joe Gyau underwent another surgery on his torn meniscus, and he could be done for the season.

5. With Cristiano Ronaldo suspended, Gareth Bale takes center stage against Real Sociedad

Jan 30, 2015, 5:20 PM EST

Real Madrid's Ronaldo celebrates a goal with team mate Bale against Galatasaray during their Champions League soccer match in Istanbul Reuters

Real Madrid midfielder Gareth Bale will replace Cristiano Ronaldo as the current world’s best player will serve a two-match ban coming from last week’s tilt vs. Cordoba.

6. Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Newcastle United

Jan 30, 2015, 4:35 PM EST

Britain Soccer Premier League AP

Preview of Hull City vs. Newcastle on NBSCN this Saturday morning.

7. Juan Agudelo’s return an excellent occurrence for New England Revolution

Jan 30, 2015, 3:45 PM EST

Juan-Agudelo-New-England-Revolution-Getty-Images Getty Images

Juan Agudelo is back with Major League Soccer’s New England Revolution, and amidst a few possible issues, there is no reason his addition cannot help guide Jay Heaps’ side to victorious ways in the East.

8. Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday?

Jan 30, 2015, 3:07 PM EST

ACF Fiorentina v SSC Napoli - Serie A Getty Images

Let’s take a gander at how things may’ve changed since JPW checked the needs earlier this month.

9. WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 23

Jan 30, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

PremierLeagueNBC

Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 23, here.

10. Saturday’s Chelsea-Manchester City match expected to break viewing records

Jan 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EST

Chelsea and Man City will square off early in the season. AP

If my math’s right, and it probably isn’t, close to 10 percent of the world’s population will watch Manchester City visit Chelsea on Saturday.

11. Asian Cup final preview: Can Australian hosts deny South Korea’s first title since 1960?

Jan 30, 2015, 1:06 PM EST

FBL-ASIA2015-AUS-KOR Getty Images

The Socceroos have received a single goal from nine other players in a bid to become the first hosts to win the Asian Cup since Japan in 1992.

12. Geoff Cameron predicts Super Bowl XLIX win for his New England Patriots

Jan 30, 2015, 12:52 PM EST

USA Training & Press Conference - 2014 FIFA World Cup Getty Images

Cameron talks about his love for the Pats, growing up in Boston and more in his latest dispatch from England.

13. VIDEO: PST Extra – Costa’s suspension, and how will Frank Lampard be received at Stamford Bridge?

Jan 30, 2015, 12:22 PM EST

Lampard Getty Images

PST’s Joe Prince-Wright and Mike Prindiville sit down to talk Lampard vs. Chelsea in this week’s PST Extra, with a little Diego Costa suspension talk as well.

14. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win

Jan 30, 2015, 12:02 PM EST

Pablo Zabaleta Pablo Zabaleta

PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the winners and losers in Week 23.

15. Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Manchester City

Jan 30, 2015, 11:40 AM EST

Chelsea v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

There are big ones, and there are bigger ones… and this one’s a doozy.

16. Manchester United signs youngster from Scholes-, Giggs-owned semipro side

Jan 30, 2015, 10:54 AM EST

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/

There’s quite a bit of saccharine in this perfect PR story, but it’s a cool tale nonetheless.

17. San Francisco 49ers brass announced as investors in Sacramento Republic

Jan 30, 2015, 10:19 AM EST

sacbee.com sacbee.com

“We have more 49ers season ticket holders in Sacramento than we do in San Francisco,” the 49ers CEO said

18. Man City’s Pellegrini hopes stamping ban will change “top player” Costa

Jan 30, 2015, 9:33 AM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-WEST HAM-MAN CITY Getty Images

The Manchester City manager made the comments during the pre-Chelsea press conference on Friday.

Chelsea v Man City: Lampard the hero?