Landon Donovan explains retirement, hails US fans as soccer’s “lifeblood”

Aug 7, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

On Thursday Landon Donovan announced his retirement from professional soccer.

The all-time leading scorer in Major League Soccer will hang up his boots at the end of the 2014 season and the greatest soccer player the U.S. has ever produced will walk off the field for the final time.

[RELATED: Did LD retire early after World Cup snub?]

Donovan was named the MVP of Major League Soccer’s 2014 All-Star Game on Wednesday evening in Portland, as he jumped off the bench to score the winning goal for MLS against Bayern Munich. After a summer of disappointment at not making Jurgen Klinsmann’s final 23-man roster for the 2014 World Cup, it seems as though Donovan will never suit up in the Stars and Stripes again, as he calls it quits.

[RELATED: Donovan to retire]

Below the 32-year-old forward explains his decision to walk away from the professional game, after posting the emotional message via his personal Facebook page. Donovan thanks his teammates, coaches and reserves a special mention for the fans in America who have helped the game develop drastically over the past decade.

Here’s what LD had to say.

After careful deliberation and after many conversations with those closest to me, I have decided that this will be my last season as a professional soccer player.

I don’t write these words lightly and this day carries mixed emotions for me. I am sad to leave a profession that has brought me so much joy. I will miss all of the teammates who helped me create so many incredible memories on-the-field, and who I have shared many wonderful experiences with off-the-field. I will miss my coaches, at both the club and national team levels, who have helped me develop throughout my career and helped make me the player I am today. However, after spending half my life as a professional soccer player, I also am excited to begin a new chapter and pursue other opportunities that will challenge me and allow me to grow as a person.

There are so many people I want to thank who have inspired me, guided me and helped me on this incredible journey. I simply could not have accomplished what I did during my playing career without an overwhelming amount of support from my family, my friends and many others. I plan to express my gratitude to everyone in a more detailed manner at a later date; however, for now, I want to single out the fans. You are the lifeblood of this sport and, without you, none of us would be fortunate to call ourselves professional soccer players in MLS.

I feel incredibly blessed and lucky to have played a role in the remarkable growth of MLS and US Soccer during my playing career. And while my career as a player will soon be over, rest assured I will stay connected on many levels to the beautiful game.

As we enter a transformative time for the sport, I will do everything I can to help the continued growth of soccer in the United States. I look forward to making a difference, pursuing my passions and meeting all of you along the way in this next phase of my life.

With gratitude,

Landon

Latest Posts
  1. Chicharito admires Sir Alex Ferguson for spearheading “European dream”

Sep 19, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT

Britain Soccer League Cup AP

Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez has sung the praises of former Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who the forward believed was instrumental in getting himself exposure in Europe.

2. At “massive” Madrid, Bale hails Spurs fans, mentions possible return

Sep 19, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Gareth Bale, AP

Gareth Bale could one day return to Tottenham, but his waxing poetic on White Hart Lane is likely nothing more than political fare.

3. Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell

Sep 19, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Premier League AP

Of course it’s possible that Louis van Gaal could bring Ronaldo to Manchester United, but he doesn’t believe his current team is interested.

4. WATCH: Ronaldinho’s brutal PK attempt mars Mexican debut

Sep 19, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT

Ronaldinho AP

How many times in his life has Ronaldinho performed this task with flair (or at least adequately)?

5. Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling

Sep 19, 2014, 12:55 PM EDT

Liverpool v Aston Villa - Premier League Getty Images

Tim Howard’s stint as No. 1 USMNT backstop may be on hiatus, but the battle of who’s the top American goalkeeper in the Premier League is on

6. Premier League Preview: Queens Park Rangers vs. Stoke City

Sep 19, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT

niko-kranjcar-qpr-stoke-64064-1928575_613x460

An even rivalry heads to Loftus Road to start its season series on Saturday, kicking off the Premier League weekend.

7. WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5

Sep 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

PremierLeagueNBC

Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 5, right here.

8. Awaiting trial on domestic abuse charges, Hope Solo plays on. Fair?

Sep 19, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT

Mexico v United States Getty Images

A Washington Post report asks why Hope Solo is being celebrated for her on-field efforts while awaiting the results of her not guilty plea to domestic abuse charges.

9. Di Vaio seems ready to call time on prolific stint in Montreal, career

Sep 19, 2014, 10:32 AM EDT

Di Vaio

It’s not about the Impact, the CONCACAF Champions League or the club’s record. For Di Vaio, it’s about home.

10. Benoit Assou-Ekotto suspended for comments on Anelka quenelle gesture

Sep 19, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT

Benoit-Assou-Ekotto-tweet-2932591

Perhaps the investigation took a bit too long, but it seems many athletes did not understand the depths of their joke usage.

11. Bastia’s Brandao gets six-month ban for headbutting PSG’s Thiago Motta

Sep 19, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT

_77681154_0aa4ee3d-419f-443e-9b75-25145bc61f73 Getty Images

You can watch the video of the ‘premeditated’ act inside. Six months is fairly understandable, no?

12. Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium

Sep 19, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT

Montenegro players Jovetic and Pavicevic train ahead of their 2014 World Cup qualifying soccer match against England, at Wembley Stadium in west London Reuters

The required capacity for the final was a minimum of 70,000 seats, which certainly helped England near the front of the pack.

13. Mic check: Clint Dempsey takes the stage at FIFA15 event

Sep 19, 2014, 12:06 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-09-18 at 9.00.37 PM

Win U.S. Open Cup on Tuesday. Drop a few bars in New York on Thursday. You know: #JustClintDempseyThings.

14. CCL: Two goals from Toni push Sporting Kansas City past Saprissa

Sep 18, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT

Sporting Kansas City logo

Sporting took a big step toward getting out of Group 2 thanks to its Spanish winger.

15. Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire

Sep 18, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT

photo (1)

Awkward bounces made a disorganized El Tri look awful and the high-powered USWNT look pedestrian in a 4-0 decision on Thursday night.

16. MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem

Sep 18, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT

MLS_crest_club_colors

Users decided to make the new art’s white space into a plus, ditching the high brow concept in favor of more appealing products.

17. MLS Preview: Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids

Sep 18, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT

Portland Timbers v Real Salt Lake Getty Images

NBCSN’s first of three weekend broadcasts takes place tomorrow night at Rio Tinto Stadium.

18. FA chairman: England “might well bid for” Euro 2028

Sep 18, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT

greg_dyke Getty Images

It’s 14 years off, but The FA is still planning to make a push.

19. Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road

Sep 18, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

seamus_coleman AP

Roberto Martinez makes an impressive European debut, while Mauricio Pochettino sees him team go without a shot on target.

20. It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo

Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT

don_garber_mls_logo AP

MLS has admitted failure before. Today’s new art may prove to be another idea the league should cast off.

Breaking down Man City vs. Chelsea