Landon Donovan explains retirement, hails US fans as soccer’s “lifeblood”

Aug 7, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT

On Thursday Landon Donovan announced his retirement from professional soccer.

The all-time leading scorer in Major League Soccer will hang up his boots at the end of the 2014 season and the greatest soccer player the U.S. has ever produced will walk off the field for the final time.

[RELATED: Did LD retire early after World Cup snub?]

Donovan was named the MVP of Major League Soccer’s 2014 All-Star Game on Wednesday evening in Portland, as he jumped off the bench to score the winning goal for MLS against Bayern Munich. After a summer of disappointment at not making Jurgen Klinsmann’s final 23-man roster for the 2014 World Cup, it seems as though Donovan will never suit up in the Stars and Stripes again, as he calls it quits.

[RELATED: Donovan to retire]

Below the 32-year-old forward explains his decision to walk away from the professional game, after posting the emotional message via his personal Facebook page. Donovan thanks his teammates, coaches and reserves a special mention for the fans in America who have helped the game develop drastically over the past decade.

Here’s what LD had to say.

After careful deliberation and after many conversations with those closest to me, I have decided that this will be my last season as a professional soccer player.

I don’t write these words lightly and this day carries mixed emotions for me. I am sad to leave a profession that has brought me so much joy. I will miss all of the teammates who helped me create so many incredible memories on-the-field, and who I have shared many wonderful experiences with off-the-field. I will miss my coaches, at both the club and national team levels, who have helped me develop throughout my career and helped make me the player I am today. However, after spending half my life as a professional soccer player, I also am excited to begin a new chapter and pursue other opportunities that will challenge me and allow me to grow as a person.

There are so many people I want to thank who have inspired me, guided me and helped me on this incredible journey. I simply could not have accomplished what I did during my playing career without an overwhelming amount of support from my family, my friends and many others. I plan to express my gratitude to everyone in a more detailed manner at a later date; however, for now, I want to single out the fans. You are the lifeblood of this sport and, without you, none of us would be fortunate to call ourselves professional soccer players in MLS.

I feel incredibly blessed and lucky to have played a role in the remarkable growth of MLS and US Soccer during my playing career. And while my career as a player will soon be over, rest assured I will stay connected on many levels to the beautiful game.

As we enter a transformative time for the sport, I will do everything I can to help the continued growth of soccer in the United States. I look forward to making a difference, pursuing my passions and meeting all of you along the way in this next phase of my life.

With gratitude,

Landon

Latest Posts
  1. VIDEO: Should we be worried about Manchester United after huge overhaul?

Sep 3, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Manchester United v Newcastle United - Premier League Getty Images

Red Devils have ripped apart their title-winning team from 2013. Will things settle down anytime soon?

2. How will USMNT line up in friendly vs. Peru?

Sep 3, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT

Cameron-Austria

Three options for the starting XI at RFK Stadium on Friday.

3. Bayern Munich to set up refugee “training camp” as humanitarian crisis deepens

Sep 3, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwe2ymq2mgvlzdu1owi2mjvkzmiwogy1ztfinwfjy2q5 AP

German champs taking a stand to help the growing number of asylum seekers arriving in Munich.

4. VIDEO: Cicerone scores another screamer in college soccer

Sep 3, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT

Source: @BullsMensSoccer Source: @BullsMensSoccer

After his game-winner from halfway last season, Cicerone is at it again.

5. USMNT move up one spot in latest FIFA World rankings

Sep 3, 2015, 8:40 AM EDT

Michael Bradley, USMNT Michael Bradley, USMNT

Klinsmann’s side move up, but remain out of the top 20.

6. Premier League Deadline Day podcast

Sep 2, 2015, 9:57 PM EDT

DeGea Getty Images

The NBC Deadline Day show is here in podcast form.

7. Martial transfer fee from Manchester United trickles down to French lower tier team

Sep 2, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

Martial Getty Images

A fraction of the transfer fee has made its way to the lower division team in France that helped mold Anthony Martial into the $55 million player he is today.

8. Men In Blazers Podcast: Deadline Day recap and Chelsea loses again

Sep 2, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT

meninblazers

Rog and Davo break down Chelsea’s loss to Crystal Palace and Swansea’s stylish win over Manchester United. Plus, a recap of transfer deadline day.

9. Klinsmann confirms Brad Guzan will start Confederations Cup playoff in goal

Sep 2, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT

Guzan Getty Images

Tim Howard looked good for Everton last weekend, but the U.S. coach says it’s too close to the Mexico game to make a change.

10. Ashley Cole is quickly being phased out at Roma

Sep 2, 2015, 5:42 PM EDT

Cole Getty Images

The former Chelsea defender is no longer listed on the team’s website and was left out of both the club’s domestic and European squads.

11. Dortmund’s Kevin Grosskreutz will move to Galatasaray immediately despite transfer mishap

Sep 2, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT

Grosskreutz Getty Images

The paperwork was late, and FIFA rejected the deal, but the two sides still wish for it to be completed.

12. Zlatan Ibrahimovic confirms he turned down AC Milan this summer

Sep 2, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT

Zlatan Getty Images

The San Siro wanted Zlatan back, but he is happy in France.

13. Ex-Manchester United striker Berbatov spurned Aston Villa for Greek club

Sep 2, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT

Berbatov Getty Images

Villa had a very quiet Deadline Day, but they tried to make a splash.

14. Mark Noble wins red card appeal; West Ham still charged for reaction

Sep 2, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT

LONDON, ENGLAND - JUNE 29: Mark Noble of West Ham United at Chadwell Heath on June 29, 2015 in London, England.  (Photo by James Griffiths/West Ham United via Getty Images) Getty Images

After the match, Noble said it was a tackle that happens “10 times a game” and that he felt it didn’t even deserve a yellow card.

15. U.S. U-23 versus England U-21 preview: Young Yanks face Premier League cast at Deepdale

Sep 2, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 14:  Cameron Carter-Vickers of Tottenham Hotspur U21 holds off Manu Garcia of Manchester City U21 during the Barclays U21 Premier League match between Manchester City U21 and Tottenham Hotspur U21 at The Academy Stadium on August 14, 2015 in Manchester, England.  (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images) Getty Images

After finishing second in its group thanks to a 3-1 win over the Netherlands, Herzog’s Yanks toppled England’s U-20 team this summer. Now: the U-21s.

16. Spain’s Del Bosque says De Gea’s Euro spot in trouble without playing time; Speaks on Chelsea’s Costa

Sep 2, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT

Manchester United's goalkeeper David De Gea of Spain arrives at Soccer City training facility for a Spanish soccer team concentration meeting in Las Rozas, near Madrid, Spain, Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2015. The day after De Gea's multi-million euro move to the Spanish capital was called off, Madrid pointed the finger at United, issuing a lengthy 10-point statement claiming officials at Old Trafford held the deal up with their delays, but United hit back at their old rivals by publishing a counter-statement on Tuesday evening. (AP Photo) AP

“He needs to be professional and move on from this episode,” Del Bosque said of the Manchester United keeper.

17. Arsenal’s Ozil says he’d play in Olympics; Joachim Low doubts it very much

Sep 2, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT

FBL-WC-2014-MATCH45-USA-GER Getty Images

Unified Germany hasn’t medaled since 1964 in Tokyo (Bronze). East Germany won gold in 1976.

PST Extra: Analyzing transfer deadline day