Landon Donovan to retire after 2014 MLS season

Aug 7, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT

The greatest soccer player America has ever produced is bringing down the curtain on his fairytale career.

Landon Donovan will retire from soccer at the age of 32 following the 2014 Major League Soccer season.

[RELATED: Did LD retire due to US snub?]

In a statement via his own Facebook page Donovan confirmed he will retire. Donovan’s club, LA Galaxy, have called a 5 p.m. ET press conference where they will announce the decision officially.

ESPN analyst and former MLS and U.S national team player, Taylor Twellman,sent out this Tweet and several other sources have apparently confirmed that Donovan will call it quits when the current season ends.

“After careful deliberation and after many conversations with those closest to me, I have decided that this will be my last season as a professional soccer player,” Donovan said. “I don’t write these words lightly and this day carries mixed emotions for me. I am sad to leave a profession that has brought me so much joy”

Donovan then thanked the fans of U.S. soccer, as he hailed their influence and support of MLS and what it has become today.

“I want to single out the fans. You are the lifeblood of this sport and, without you, none of us would be fortunate to call ourselves professional soccer players in MLS,” Donovan said. “I feel incredibly blessed and lucky to have played a role in the remarkable growth of MLS and US Soccer during my playing career. And while my career as a player will soon be over, rest assured I will stay connected on many levels to the beautiful game.”

[RELATED: LD explains retirement]

So, Donovan has brought his illustrious career to an end much earlier that many had expected. Was it being left out of the 2014 World Cup squad? Father time finally catching up with him? Or just a realization that there’s more to life than playing soccer? Whatever made his mind up, Donovan’s name will be etched into the history books of American soccer.

He has spent over 14 years in MLS as the face of the league, plus had stints overseas in Germany and England. He is the all-time leading scorer in MLS history, for the U.S. national team and will be remebered as the finest player of his generation.

Stay on ProSoccerTalk for more news on Donovan’s decision to retire…

1. 5thliner - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:37 PM

What a career.

• twerkslikeMiley - Aug 7, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Amen

2. nappy25 - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I lost respect for him during his “sabbatical” and those butt-hurt comments he said during the WC. No true leader would ever take a break, especially when people are counting on you. I appreciate what he did for US Soccer, but I’m not going to lose sleep over a guy who turns his back on his team then expects everything to back to revolving around him.

• egb234 - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Sadly, I agree. I will always appreciate the good things he did, but I think he showed his true character over the last two years and it wasn’t pretty.

This was obviously coming. Ever since he was cut he’s been playing to the people a la a politician aiming to cement a legacy.

• troy2 - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Yes the sabbatical was a ding but keep it in perspective. He’s given much, much more to US Soccer than a couple months of finding himself should effect. Landon is a class-act and without him there is a void.

• troy2 - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Yes the sabbatical was a ding but keep it in perspective. He’s given much, much more to US Soccer than a couple months of finding himself should effect. I think without Landon US Soccer and MLS would be years behind where they are now.

• nappy25 - Aug 7, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I agree about his contributions, but every soccer player is going through the same physical and emotional stress that he has endured in his career. He gets paid millions to sacrifice his body. Retirement is the only time a player can take a “sabbatical”. I don’t understand how fans can say that was okay.

• braxtonrob - Aug 9, 2014 at 3:03 AM

@nappy, You’re ridiculous.

3. greej1938l - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:20 PM

He’ll be back after a year off

• mikeevergreen - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:53 PM

He’ll get bored, and come back mid-season. That or become Cambodia’s national team coach.

4. rphillish - Aug 7, 2014 at 2:41 PM

No one is perfect, but he will always be a US Soccer legend. I’ll be there when they unveil his statue at SubHub Center.

5. granadafan - Aug 7, 2014 at 11:24 PM

Best of luck to Donovan. I’ll never forget that beautiful goal in the last few seconds that saved the US in World Cup 2010. I was at a bar and the place just exploded onto the street. Thanks for the memories, Landon (Yeah, I know he won’t read this).

Week 6: Premier League recap