Aug 8, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
With Barcelona en route to Finland to play a friendly against HJK in Helsinki, defender Gerard Pique
[Insert "Spain stunk in the World Cup" joke here]
Pique is well known for his pranks, but according to both Marca and Sport, the airplane staff didn’t take too kindly to the joke and became furious with the defender, forced to apologize to the other passengers. I guess they didn’t fly private jet.
Despite this, the plane still reportedly made it to its final destination undisturbed from a flight-plan standpoint.
Barcelona will take on HJK on Saturday, with the Finnish team in the midst of their season which plays a schedule similar to Major League Soccer.
This isn’t anything new for a guy like Pique. In 2012, the husband of Shakira decided to announce the birth of his coming baby boy a few months early, before telling people it was an April Fools-esque joke. He also was caught pelting his team’s bench in 2010 with what appears to be sunflower seeds, and denied all involvement before being ratted out by Carlos Puyol.
Puyol is often involved in dressing room pranks, and when Pep Guardiola was brought in to manage Barcelona 2008, Pique said, “If you need to prank then you must prank… But it’s true that we have lots of respect for the coach. The jokes are more between the players. We leave the technical staff alone. For now.”
- VIDEO: Can Manchester United beat Chelsea? PST Extra breaks it down 2
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 10
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 6
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0