Aug 8, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Arsenal’s club captain Thomas Vermaelen is set to end his North London nightmare.
Manchester United have been reportedly chasing Vermaelen as Louis van Gaal looks to strengthen his defensive options, however it has been reported by various sources that the deal broke down due to wage demands. Arsenal were also said to favor a move to Barca for Vermaelen instead of a direct Premier League competitor.
If the deal goes through as expected, Barcelona have strengthened their back line considerably over the summer after already signing defender Jeromy Mathieu from Valencia. After losing Carlos Puyol to retirement, Gerard Pique needed some help in the heart of Barca’s defense as Javier Mascherano was often deployed out of position last season as an emergency center back.
Our friends over at Soccerly have the latest details as Vermaelen’s five-year stint at Arsenal is almost over.
British press have revealed Arsenal has come to an agreement for the sale of Belgian defender Thomas Vermaelen to Barcelona.
According to reports, the deal came through after a bid by Manchester United was turned down. The transfer is set to be for £15m, around $25.21 million.
The player is expected to arrive to Barcelona for medical tests on Saturday.
According to reports from daily ‘Sport’ in Spain, Barcelona’s executives held an impromptu meeting to finalize details of the transfer in an airport gate before boarding a flight to Helsinki, where the club is scheduled to play a friendly match against HJK Helsinki on Saturday.
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 4
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 5