Aug 8, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Arsenal’s club captain Thomas Vermaelen is set to end his North London nightmare.
Manchester United have been reportedly chasing Vermaelen as Louis van Gaal looks to strengthen his defensive options, however it has been reported by various sources that the deal broke down due to wage demands. Arsenal were also said to favor a move to Barca for Vermaelen instead of a direct Premier League competitor.
If the deal goes through as expected, Barcelona have strengthened their back line considerably over the summer after already signing defender Jeromy Mathieu from Valencia. After losing Carlos Puyol to retirement, Gerard Pique needed some help in the heart of Barca’s defense as Javier Mascherano was often deployed out of position last season as an emergency center back.
Our friends over at Soccerly have the latest details as Vermaelen’s five-year stint at Arsenal is almost over.
British press have revealed Arsenal has come to an agreement for the sale of Belgian defender Thomas Vermaelen to Barcelona.
According to reports, the deal came through after a bid by Manchester United was turned down. The transfer is set to be for £15m, around $25.21 million.
The player is expected to arrive to Barcelona for medical tests on Saturday.
According to reports from daily ‘Sport’ in Spain, Barcelona’s executives held an impromptu meeting to finalize details of the transfer in an airport gate before boarding a flight to Helsinki, where the club is scheduled to play a friendly match against HJK Helsinki on Saturday.
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 0
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 1
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3
- Chile vs. Argentina – Three key battles that will decide the Copa America final 0