Aug 8, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT
Major League Soccer is still trying its darndest to convince Jermaine Jones to come play in the United States, but it’s proved a difficult task.
The Chicago Fire have long reportedly been interested in snatching Jones should the USMNT star agree to a deal, but it looks like another team wants to be on that list.
ESPN’s Taylor Twellman reported that New England is also in for Jones, with management approving a deal for the midfielder.
Jones has been heavy passing those along on Twitter who advocate for him to make Michael Bradley money, but thus far Major League Soccer is hesitant to give a 32-year-old that kind of deal. He also got into it with Alexi Lalas for something that initially seemed to be harmless from the ESPN commentator. Then again, Lalas seems to be enraging plenty of US palyers on Twitter recently.
According to this Fox Soccer report, Jones has been asking for top-10 type money. In addition, they contacted Revs GM Michael Burns, who told them “We’ve received approval from our ownership to pursue Jermaine. We’re interested in Jermaine and we’ve been in contact with MLS.”
According to ESPN, Jones was set to earns $2.4 million per year at Besiktas, but the club declined to extend his contract on an option that would have seen it extend through the summer of 2016.
New England has two designated player slots open, with only Jerry Bengtson signed to a major contract.
Earlier today, Chicago Fire head coach Frank Yallop confirmed that his club was still in for Jones, and likely the frontrunners as they have been for some time.
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Shakhtar go goal crazy 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 0
- LIVE – Champions League half time update: Blowouts! Get your blowouts here! 0
- FOLLOW LIVE: At the half, unstoppable Bayern Munich up 5-0 at Roma 0
- CSKA Moscow 2-2 Manchester City: Citizens blow 2-0 lead, Champions League hopes in ruin 0