Aug 8, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT
OK, file this one under the “very unlikely to happen” section of Major League Soccer takeover stories.
Let’s have some fun with it anyway.
The guys over at Goat Parade managed to dig deep into the British tabloids and find some info, reportedly from international pop sensation Rihanna, suggesting “she’s hinted she may do something with an LA team.”
Buy a soccer team in LA, that is.
According to Goat Parade the report is from British magazine Female First who attributed the quotes to the Daily Star. So, one magazine is reporting that another tabloid has an unattributed quote to Rihanna. Okay.
Putting two and two together, we all know there’s one team openly on the market in Los Angeles that Rihanna could buy. Step forward, Chivas USA. Her love for soccer is certainly pretty strong if this summer is anything to go by. Rihanna was down in Brazil watching games, pictured right, cheering on plenty of teams, and she Tweeted out several times as an avid fan. While the German national team posed for photos with her and the World Cup.
The report also suggests Rihanna is contemplating buying a Premier League side, as she aims to set up a soccer academy in her home country of Barbados. Her net worth is said to be around $90 million, which means she probably would be part of a consortium to buy the MLS franchise if this deal were actually ever going to happen.
However, what if she did buy Chivas USA?
Here are some suggestions for a few “owners initiatives” and remember, this is all very tongue in cheek:
- Rename the club, “Rihanna’s Rebels” or “Rudeboys FC”
- The new owner (Rihanna) could perform a concert during every home game to boost attendance figures
- With her admiration for the German national team perhaps Mario Gotze et al. will be heading to MLS?
- Build a new domed stadium in downtown LA for the team, the rooftop could be shaped like a massive “Umbrella”… (too far?)
Will pigs fly before Rihanna buys an MLS team? Almost certainly. Just like most music moguls that are linked with buying soccer clubs, when the actual costs come out and you realize that you will likely lose a lot of cash, the faint rumors soon dissipate.
But it’s sure fun to think about, right?
- Three things we learned after Liverpool’s latest defeat, this time vs. Basel 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Arsenal cruise, Liverpool lose, Real Madrid win 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Galatasaray: Welbeck’s hat-trick leads 10-man Arsenal to victory 0
- Hat-Trick Hero: Danny Welbeck nails three in thumping of Galatasaray 1
- Report: Red Bull’s days in MLS are likely numbered 9
- Men in Blazers podcast: Wayne Rooney’s implosion, Derby Day and an MiBNT update 0