Aug 8, 2014, 7:48 PM EST
Southampton have had enough of their fire sale, and poor Morgan Schneiderlin has been left behind.
Schneiderlin made a stir when he mysteriously tweeted a week ago “6 years of an amazing journey #saintsfc DESTROYED in 1 hour!” but has gone agonizingly silent since.
Southampton hasn’t budged though, and Koeman has acknowledged that there still remains some sort of a rift between player and club, and they gave him a few days off instead of taking him to their friendly against Bayer Leverkusen, saying he’s not “mentally or physically ready to play” for the team.
But that doesn’t mean they’ll be forced to sell.
‘We spoke to him this morning,” Koeman said. “The situation is difficult because the player makes it difficult. But the situation hasn’t changed. We won’t sell him. He isn’t in the squad tomorrow because he says he isn’t in a place to play. So we’ve given him the weekend off and Monday he has to come back.”
Finally, Koeman stood firm on Schneiderlin’s stance. “Maybe Tottenham is pressing Schneiderlin, maybe the agent is – it’s difficult. If this is still the situation next week, then Morgan has a big problem. You have to know you signed a contract and you have to respect that. We told him to take two days off and think about the situation because we will not change our minds.”
No new news has come out about how Tottenham feel, but he has been steadily linked to the London club since the firesale.
Jose Fonte signed a new three-year contract with the club today, and Koeman confirmed he will be captain of the team in the upcoming season.
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 1
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 4
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3