Aug 9, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Argentina’s second tier hasn’t gotten this much love since River Plate was dominating the Primera B, but with Boca Juniors legend Juan Román Riquelme having joined Argentinos Juniors, the circuit’s going to get a lot more attention this season. With today’s 1-0 victory against Boca Unidos, the former Barcelona and Villarreal creator has already brought some positive attention to the recently relegated club.
On Saturday, Argentinos’ quest to rejoin the Primera got off to a good start, albeit not without significant help from Boca Unidos goalkeeper Matías Garavano. Late in Saturday’s game at Estadio Diego Maradona, Riquelme’s blast after a long diagonal bounced up and over the diving keeper, allowing what should have been an easy, near-post stop to decide the teams’ match in Buenos Aires. The victory gave Argentinos the early lead in Group A of the Primera B.
As you can see, above, Riquelme’s reaction wasn’t exactly elation. It was more “soccer games are long.” Regardless, the Argentine icon is already paying dividends for his new club.
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 1
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 8
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2