Aug 9, 2014, 7:12 PM EST
Argentina’s second tier hasn’t gotten this much love since River Plate was dominating the Primera B, but with Boca Juniors legend Juan Román Riquelme having joined Argentinos Juniors, the circuit’s going to get a lot more attention this season. With today’s 1-0 victory against Boca Unidos, the former Barcelona and Villarreal creator has already brought some positive attention to the recently relegated club.
On Saturday, Argentinos’ quest to rejoin the Primera got off to a good start, albeit not without significant help from Boca Unidos goalkeeper Matías Garavano. Late in Saturday’s game at Estadio Diego Maradona, Riquelme’s blast after a long diagonal bounced up and over the diving keeper, allowing what should have been an easy, near-post stop to decide the teams’ match in Buenos Aires. The victory gave Argentinos the early lead in Group A of the Primera B.
As you can see, above, Riquelme’s reaction wasn’t exactly elation. It was more “soccer games are long.” Regardless, the Argentine icon is already paying dividends for his new club.
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 3
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3
- Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope 1
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 1