Aug 9, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
DeAndre Yedlin is leaving the Seattle Sounders, this we know. When he’ll be playing for another team is quite another story.
MLSSoccer.com has a report that includes an admission from Sounders general manager Adrian Hanauer that Yedlin is in Europe to complete a move overseas.
But that move won’t come into effect immediately, and it won’t be a loan deal. Hanauer says that Yedlin will return to the States as Sounders property.
“DeAndre is overseas,” Hanauer said. “Obviously we’re not going to give out a lot of detail. … Certainly something we’re working toward is a potential transaction.
“This will be a deal where he won’t be immediately transferred and then loaned back,” Hanauer said. “It will be a deal that is constructed in a way that potentially he would be here through the end of the year, potentially longer.”
This follows up several reports that Yedlin, 21, would link up with Tottenham Hotspur. On Friday, Goal.com reported the transfer would be worth $3.5 million, and that the US defender would move to London in January. USMNT legend Kasey Keller issued words of warning to Yedlin on going to Spurs, but perhaps a better goalkeeper for advice is current Spurs man Brad Friedel.
The story is yet another case study in the development of US players. Is it better for Yedlin to play scarcely at Tottenham, go on loan to a ‘lesser’ European club or star week-in, week-out in Major League Soccer. Two years ago at this time, Yedlin was preparing for his sophomore season at Akron. Now, things are much, much different.
- Klinsmann confirms Brad Guzan will start Confederations Cup playoff in goal 1
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0