Aug 9, 2014, 7:48 AM EDT
DeAndre Yedlin is leaving the Seattle Sounders, this we know. When he’ll be playing for another team is quite another story.
MLSSoccer.com has a report that includes an admission from Sounders general manager Adrian Hanauer that Yedlin is in Europe to complete a move overseas.
But that move won’t come into effect immediately, and it won’t be a loan deal. Hanauer says that Yedlin will return to the States as Sounders property.
“DeAndre is overseas,” Hanauer said. “Obviously we’re not going to give out a lot of detail. … Certainly something we’re working toward is a potential transaction.
“This will be a deal where he won’t be immediately transferred and then loaned back,” Hanauer said. “It will be a deal that is constructed in a way that potentially he would be here through the end of the year, potentially longer.”
This follows up several reports that Yedlin, 21, would link up with Tottenham Hotspur. On Friday, Goal.com reported the transfer would be worth $3.5 million, and that the US defender would move to London in January. USMNT legend Kasey Keller issued words of warning to Yedlin on going to Spurs, but perhaps a better goalkeeper for advice is current Spurs man Brad Friedel.
The story is yet another case study in the development of US players. Is it better for Yedlin to play scarcely at Tottenham, go on loan to a ‘lesser’ European club or star week-in, week-out in Major League Soccer. Two years ago at this time, Yedlin was preparing for his sophomore season at Akron. Now, things are much, much different.
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 0
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 6
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0