Aug 10, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Olivier Giroud‘s deflected shot in the 61st minute lifted Arsenal into comfortable territory in their pursuit of the Community Shield with a 3-0 lead, and the Gunners later coasted into their 13th shield by the same score.
Santi Cazorla and Aaron Ramsey scored first-half goals and Wojciech Szczesny wasn’t troubled much as Arsenal ravaged a weakened Manchester City back line.
The first domestic hardware of the season is moving to London’s Arsenal for the first time since 2004. It was the Gunners’ first appearance in the match since 2005.
Here’s what we were saying at halftime after Cazorla deftly beat the City defense and the combination of Yaya Sanogo and Ramsey made it 2-0.
And here’s Giroud’s rip, which appears to be tipped enough off the foot to confuse City keeper Willy Caballero.
The 55th minute found a great shot from Aleksandar Kolarov matched by the diving save of Szczesny.
But just as City was finding its feet, the London club lit up Wembley with Giroud’s goal.
Costa Rican hero Joel Campbell made a late and rare appearance for Arsenal in the 86th minute.
Arsenal start their Premier League season Saturday against Crystal Palace, and Manchester City visits Newcastle on Sunday.
Recent Community Shield winners
2014 – Arsenal
2013 – Manchester United
2012 – Manchester City
2011 – Manchester United
2010 – Manchester United
2009 – Chelsea
2008 – Manchester United
2007 – Manchester United
2006 – Liverpool
2005 – Chelsea
2004 – Arsenal
Manchester City: Caballero, Clichy, Boyata, Nastasic, Kolarov (Richards, 75′), Navas (Sinclair, 85′), Fernando, Toure (Zuculini, 60′), Nasri, Jovetic, Dzeko (Milner, 60′)
Arsenal: Szczesny, Debuchy, Koscielny (Monreal, 46′), Chambers, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere (Flamini, 68′), Ramsey (Campbell, 86′), Alexis (Oxlade-Chamberlain, 46′), Cazorla (Rosicky, 70′), Sanogo (Giroud, 46′)
Goals: Cazorla (22), Ramsey (42), Giroud (60)
- Top 5 Premier League storylines ahead of Week 4: Transfer deadline day looms 2
- Analyzing UEFA Champions League group stage draw for four Premier League teams 0
- Full draw: Epic UEFA Champions League group stage will see giants collide 3
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Neymar in talks, Olic to Stoke City 0
- Wolfsburg say Kevin de Bruyne not heading to Manchester City “at this point” 9
- 2015-16 Premier League Power Rankings, Vol. I: Taking very early stock with Man City on top 8