Aug 10, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Santi Cazorla’s 22nd minute tally and Aaron Ramsey’s goal before the break staked Arsenal to 2-0 lead in Sunday’s Community Shield match against Manchester City.
Manchester City has had plenty of trouble finding moments in their attack while their weakened defense has opened plenty of doors for Arsenal. City is playing without Vincent Kompany, Bacary Sagna and Pablo Zabaleta.
Cazorla’s goal came after Yaya Sanogo fed a quick pass across the top of the 18 that bobbled its way to the Spaniard. Cazorla collected before faking right, taking two touches left to hit a low, hard shot across the face of goal, and Wily Caballero couldn’t adjust to the strike. It was 1-0 Arsenal.
Moments later, Sanogo nearly doubled the Gunners advantage, but Caballero had the angle and the Arsenal striker could only fire wide of goal.
A blistering Eden Dzeko run down the left side of the pitch almost found the equalizer for City, but his pass to the middle of the box found no one.
Sanogo then worked over Dedryck Boyata before finding Ramsey, who confidently finished past Caballero to put the Gunners up two in the 42nd minute.
Manchester City: Caballero, Clichy, Boyata, Nastasic, Kolarov, Navas, Fernando, Toure, Nasri, Jovetic, Dzeko
Subs: Hart, Richards, Rekik, Milner, Sinclair, Silva, Zuculini
Arsenal: Szczesny, Debuchy, Koscielny, Chambers, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey, Alexis, Cazorla, Sanogo
Goals: Cazorla (22), Ramsey (42)
Subs: Martinez, Monreal, Flamini, Campbell, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Giroud
- Carli Lloyd proves she’s the Women’s World Cup hero she always knew she would be 0
- Mission accomplished: Abby Wambach gets her World Cup title 0
- United States wins third Women’s World Cup title, beats Japan on record-smashing day 22
- VIDEO: Lloyd seals amazing 16 minute hat trick with wonder goal from halfway 2
- Sunday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Manchester City ready to spend, Spurs agree for Alderweireld 0
- Sepp Blatter claims French and German presidents influenced World Cup voters 1