Aug 10, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Santi Cazorla’s 22nd minute tally and Aaron Ramsey’s goal before the break staked Arsenal to 2-0 lead in Sunday’s Community Shield match against Manchester City.
Manchester City has had plenty of trouble finding moments in their attack while their weakened defense has opened plenty of doors for Arsenal. City is playing without Vincent Kompany, Bacary Sagna and Pablo Zabaleta.
Cazorla’s goal came after Yaya Sanogo fed a quick pass across the top of the 18 that bobbled its way to the Spaniard. Cazorla collected before faking right, taking two touches left to hit a low, hard shot across the face of goal, and Wily Caballero couldn’t adjust to the strike. It was 1-0 Arsenal.
Moments later, Sanogo nearly doubled the Gunners advantage, but Caballero had the angle and the Arsenal striker could only fire wide of goal.
A blistering Eden Dzeko run down the left side of the pitch almost found the equalizer for City, but his pass to the middle of the box found no one.
Sanogo then worked over Dedryck Boyata before finding Ramsey, who confidently finished past Caballero to put the Gunners up two in the 42nd minute.
Manchester City: Caballero, Clichy, Boyata, Nastasic, Kolarov, Navas, Fernando, Toure, Nasri, Jovetic, Dzeko
Subs: Hart, Richards, Rekik, Milner, Sinclair, Silva, Zuculini
Arsenal: Szczesny, Debuchy, Koscielny, Chambers, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Ramsey, Alexis, Cazorla, Sanogo
Goals: Cazorla (22), Ramsey (42)
Subs: Martinez, Monreal, Flamini, Campbell, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Giroud
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 0
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 1
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0