Aug 10, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT
Atletico Madrid midfielder Mario Suarez was taken to the hospital following what the club has announced as a “traumatic brain injury.”
The 27-year-old went up for a header and collided with teammate Cristian Ansaldi in the 21st minute, leaving Suarez unconscious on the ground.
The club said he had regained consciousness upon his removal from the field on a stretcher, and will be kept for the time being as more tests are taken.
The club then announced that Suarez had undergone a CT scan and will stay in the hospital in Germany for observation instead of returning to Spain with the team.
A very scary image is used as the article header for this Spanish story of the incident, as Suarez is lying on his back looking quite unconscious with concerned teammates overlooking.
Suarez made 17 La Liga appearances last season as well as five in the run to the Champions League final. The club is looking to repeat the wild success they had last year, but without a few key pieces.
The match with Wolfsburg, which they won 5-1 thanks in part to Mario Mandzukic‘s first goal with his new club, was their final tune-up before the Spanish Super Cup against Real Madrid, which starts next Tuesday.
- Premier League scenarios: Europa League and relegation requirements 0
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 1
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0
- Geoff Cameron takes us behind-the-scenes at Stoke City 1
- Brendan Rodgers insists Raheem Sterling will remain at Liverpool 0
- US Open Cup draw: Sounders-Timbers, NYCFC-NY Cosmos highlight possible 4th-round clashes 1