Aug 10, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
Head coach of the USL PRO’s Sacramento Republic, former U.S. national team winger Preki, has thrown the cat amongst the pigeons as the Californian capital continues to push for a Major League Soccer franchise.
Earlier this week reports surfaced that Sacramento’s President, the City’s Mayor and owners of the NBA’s Sacramento Kings were meeting MLS officials at the the All-Star Game in Portland to discuss potentially housing an expansion franchise in Northern Californian. The Kings ownership group is also said to be mulling over purchasing the impressive USL side.
[RELATED: Sacramento next in line for MLS expansion?]
Since then whispers have emerged from the meetings that things went extremely well and MLS officials will visit Sacramento in September to assess if the city is ready to join North America’s top flight.
In their inaugural season, the Republic have smashed USL attendance records and there’s a real hype and buzz around the franchise.
Their head coach caught up with our partners over at Soccerly and had the following to say when asked if they could potentially replace David Beckham’s franchise in Miami, who are continuing to have issues regarding a new stadium being built in Downtown MIA.
“I know we can go to the MLS. I know we’re ready, the club is ready on all fronts. We have a decent team and we wouldn’t be scared to go and play in the MLS with the addition of a few players… Sacramento is really ready. If Miami messes up we’re right around the corner. We’re waiting and we’re ready”.
Watch the video above to see Preki’s comments in full.
Sacramento or Miami? Which city would be better, and ready quicker, for MLS?
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 0
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 1
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 0
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1
- Report: Houston Dynamo the front-runner to land Erick ‘Cubo’ Torres 3